Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Character animation components structure

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Huxii, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Huxii

Huxii

Hello,

I am working on my first game (first-person) and doing my first cut-scene. I've been working on my character, continuously adding game objects and components to it, according to videos I've been watching.

I imported my player mesh from blender, but since I had really problems with the import of animations, and I recently discovered timeline playables which I really enjoy using, I decided don't use any animations from blender, but make it all in unity. So I deleted the animations and the constraints from the importer. Now, unfortunately my animation is not working anymore and I am trying to find out the reason.

While searching for it, I realized, that I have 3 animators within the player. Then I made an overview over all of the components of the player (see picture). And now it's clear for me, that the structure is very confusing and probably not very good. So I am trying to find out, how to make a reasonable structure. I have questions like:

1, Do I really need 3 animators? Probably not.
    1a, Do I need for the timeline and then for the walk animation two separate animators, or can one animator handle everything?
    1b, Where in the structure need the animator be placed? Under the main player folder or under the mesh?

2, Where does the folder with the Bone constraint belong? Now I have it directly under the main player folder, but shouldn't be it under the mesh/armature?

3, Where does the Rig builder belong? Do I need two?

I've been reading the documentation, but the components are described pretty self-contained. What I am missing is the big picture over the player structure.

I guess there is no general rule, because everybody has the player defined differently.

So, while I am trying to find out a good structure by myself, I would be very grateful for every tip or advice from people knowing it better, how I could arrange my player structure better.

Thank you in advance
    Huxi

-------------------------
    SOLVED: can be deleted, just didn't find a delete button.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021