Search Unity

Question changing Unity editor default path to VS 2022 for all users - enterprise

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by pncoste1, Jun 1, 2022.

1. pncoste1

pncoste1

I work for a educational institution that uses Unity to teach games development.
    at the moment we have Visual studio 2019 installed along with Unity 2020.3.25f1, though we are looking to upgrade for the next year soon.

the main issue i am looking for help with, is how to set up where unity looks for visual studio 2022 as its default editor. at the moment we are not using default paths for VS 22 and this means that when a student launches a new project unity can never find visual studio unless it is manually pointed at.
    even when a student has used a PC previously Unity never remembers where visual studio is. this means the first 5 minutes of each lesson is spend finding visual studio and pointing the project at it.

is there a way on enterprise windows computers to point unity at visual studio for each new user that logs it? so that when a new student logins in and creates a local profile on that PC, loads unity, visual studio will be the default IDE even if it is not on a standard path?

I'm guessing there might be something in group policy or environment variables but right now i am unsure how to do this as I've only worked with personal machines.