Search Unity

Changing the playback speed for preview only in editor ?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by michalpiatek, Oct 7, 2021.

1. michalpiatek

michalpiatek

How can I change the playback speed of my timeline sequence in editor? Most editing apps and even built-in particle system has an option to change the playback speed. Setting this to 0.5 will play it at 50% and playback speed of 2 would play it at twice the speed. It's a great feature when you want to slow down the preview and focus on details or speed it up.

I can't see anything like that in Timeline. Am I missing something? Is this feature missing or it's hidden somewhere?

2. michalpiatek

michalpiatek

3. akent99

akent99

I have not seen such a feature (which does not mean much!).

I wonder if it would help with the image quality problem when recording mp4 files as well... (if the scene is too busy, the image quality seems to degrade - I assume because there is not enough free CPU to do a good quality mp4 compression - slower playback might leave more time for other things too.)

No idea how hard it would be for Unity to do though. Changing the speed of time I can imagine would ripple all over the place if not already supported.

The other thing however is I am not sure how well it would work. E.g. I used particle system for rain. I could turn it on at any time - it was not synced with the timeline. Pausing the timeline, rewinding etc, did not affect the particles. I could change the speed in the particle system controls. So maybe you could change the particle system speed to slow it down to look, rather than change the timeline playback speed? Just a thought.

Another approach is to use the unity Recorder to save an image sequence or video file, then play that back half speed in an external tool. A bit of a pain, but possible...

4. michalpiatek

michalpiatek

Thanks for all the advice but I definitely don't want to have to record a video of my timeline so that I could play it in the external video player and slow it down :eek:

I just want to be able to do it in the editor while I'm working on my timeline.

apkdev likes this.
  5. _eternal

_eternal

Yeah, this would be very helpful for syncing visuals with music (like trailers or credits). Even though you can see the waveform, it's easier to just slow things down to 0.25x speed to make sure that you're synced with the beat.