Search Unity

Changing PhysicMaterial at runtime

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by KeiranKoz, May 3, 2018.

1. KeiranKoz

KeiranKoz

Hi guys,

Thanks for reading my post. I'm hoping for help on how to swap the PhysicMaterial on a Terrain at runtime.

Current test implementation:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public Terrain terrain;
    3. void Update()
    4. {
    5. if(Input.getKeyDown(KeyCode.K))
    6. {
    7. terrain.collider.GetComponent<PhysicMaterial>() = "Oily";
    8. print("Changed to Oily");
    9. }
    10. }
    I'm getting an obvious error, "the left-hand side of an assignment must be a variable, property, or indexer" but I really have no idea how else this could be implemented.

Help pls?

2. KeiranKoz

KeiranKoz

I've also tried this implementation but it gives me a debug log message of "There is no PhysicMaterial" attached to the "Terrain" game object." But I've doublechecked and there certainly is.

Code (CSharp):
    1. if (Input.GetKeyDown (KeyCode.K))
    2.         {
    3.             {
    4.                 //terrain.collider.GetComponent<PhysicMaterial>() = ("Oily");
    5.                 terrain.GetComponent<Collider>().GetComponent<PhysicMaterial>().name = ("Oily");
    6.                 print ("Changed to Oily");
    7.             }
    8.         }

3. methos5k

methos5k

Try looking at this page / example: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Collider-material.html

In that example, they modify properties of the material. You could just as well assign to the material itself. You could create a variable for the material(s) in the script, and assign them in the editor to swap between when needed in your code.