Search Unity

Question Changing HDR outline color results in strange overlap

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by tescrin, Nov 1, 2020.

1. tescrin

tescrin

Hello, I'm getting back into playing with unity after a year and am trying to make a simple outline shader to give me a neon-on-black effect.

If I don't modify the outline color; I get a nice outline exactly as I'd want; as seein in unmodified.png.

However if I modify it to the same color (afaik) by changing its property block, I get the modToRed; which shows a grey/greenish color on the intersection of outlines.
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         Color color = Color.red;
    2.         this._propBlock.SetColor("_OutlineColor", color);      
    3.         this._renderer.SetPropertyBlock(this._propBlock);
    If I modify it to blue and add some alpha (sending it to 2.0f), you'll see it go up to a yellow color in the editor; and blank in the game.
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         Color color = Color.blue;
    2.         color.a = 2;
    3.         this._propBlock.SetColor("_OutlineColor", color);      
    4.         this._renderer.SetPropertyBlock(this._propBlock);
    I've attached the (very routine) shader graph; which has a single extra modification over the tutorials (which is to blackout the entire texture; giving it a neon-retro look.)

An aside, I also notice that if I GetColor on "_OutlineColor"; it's (0,0,0,0) upon return (at least initialially) which seems strange; since it should be initialized to the default. This makes me assume that since the initial color is HDR, that you have to talk to it in a slightly different way.

Thank you for any help; especially regarding the getting/setting of HDR color properties in shaders and if there's an easy way to clear up the outline-intersection issue.

Attached Files: