Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Font Size in GUI

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by gizzerd91, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gizzerd91

gizzerd91

I've been working on a GUI, and until now I've just used photoshop for my text, but I really need to be able to use text. The problem is its too small. Here's my code:

function DrawLabelBottomAligned (pos : Vector2, text : String)
    {
    GUI.Label(Rect (pos.x, nativeVerticalResolution - pos.y, 100, 100), text);
    }

I tried using a transform matrix but then it gets too pixelated. Any help greatly appreciated.

2. gizzerd91

gizzerd91

is there something blindingly obvious I'm missing, or can it not be done?

3. MatthewW

MatthewW

Can't be done, at least not directly. We usually keep a few of the same fonts copied to have different import settings.

You could also scale a GUI element with GUIUtility.ScaleAroundPoint to make it bigger. It's a pain, though...

4. gizzerd91

gizzerd91

Wow. Unity's GUI system sucks. First they dont have alpha for images, now they dont have font size. They need to get on this for some soon release.

5. MatthewW

MatthewW

This is incorrect. What problem are you seeing?

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Of course there's alpha for images, and of course there's font size. There just isn't any dynamic font size where you get any arbitrary size from one font file. If your text is too small just import the text at a larger size.

(The lack of vector fonts is actually a blessing in disguise anyway IMO, since having to make separate font files for each size makes people keep the number of font sizes down to a bare minimum, and from a typographic point of view this is a good thing. ;) )

--Eric

7. MatthewW

MatthewW

Yeah, I should've clarified--when I say we keep multiple fonts with different import settings, it's the same font at different sizes: 10 point, 14 point, 18 point, etc. The texture size isn't terrible, because it's alpha 8-bit.

I think it would be cleaner to select point sizes in the GUI skin/style, rather than reference different fonts, but it is workable now (and you can do dynamic scaling if you absolutely need to).

8. gizzerd91

gizzerd91

How do I load it in different sizes?

9. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

10. thecreatrix

thecreatrix

So in your assets folder, do you have multiple copies of each font, maybe renamed so that they each import as a unique font?

Or is there a way to duplicate a font within the IDE and then adjust import settings on the copy that way?

11. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

For the editor, I have Lucida Grande (main gui font). I duplicated that (copy/paste), renamed it to Lucida Grande Large and changed the import settings to be 11 points rather than 10. Same for small. Etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.