Search Unity

Changing documentation links for a package

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by JakHussain, Mar 20, 2019.

1. JakHussain

JakHussain

Most packages seem to have links at the top to their documentation and stuff but it seems like the package manager UI is just generating a link to unity's own documentation based on the name of the package. For those of us hosting our on packages using verdaccio and documentation on gitlab pages using docfx, how to we go about editing the package.json to edit these links to point to our own documentation site?

If it's not possible in the current version, are there any plans to incorporate this and include it in documentation?

2. jasons_unity

jasons_unity

Unity Technologies

At the moment linking to gitlab pages is not supported. Currently the only way is to add a link to your self-hosted documentation inside your package "Documentation~/index.md" and have the user access it in this fashion.

The package manager UI team is working on a better solution. They are thinking of adding a field in the package.json for self-hosted documentation but nothing concrete has been yet decided.

3. Karnsteiner

Karnsteiner

This would be really useful to help redirect users to the site the package was originally cloned from in the case of public packages on Github (particularly if the user troubleshooting something isn't the one that added the package). Please let us know when/if this change is made.

4. hwaet

hwaet

I was having trouble getting the above approach to work, but eventually figured it out. For the benefit of anyone else hitting the same issue, the embedded doc link (and changelog) doesn't seem to work in 2018.3 but does for 2019.1. Also, it will accept index.md or [name of the package].md.

Something I noticed is that there are a handful of broken links in the official unity docs. In one case relevant to this thread, the link for "Documenting your package" at the bottom of the layout docs points to a 404.

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Any progress on this?

6. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Peter77 ,

This feature has landed in Unity 2020.1.0a17.

Regards,

Pascal

fablond, optimise and Peter77 like this.
  7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thanks for your reply, that's great!
    Where would I find the documentation that describes how to modify the package.json file to use this new feature?

8. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

The technical writer has not completed the documentation for this feature. But this is really simple. If you provide a `documentationUrl` in your package manifest (package.json) pointing to the documentation web page, the UI will open the link in the browser.

Pascal

Peter77 likes this.
  9. optimise

optimise

Any plan to backport to Unity 2019.3?

10. JakHussain

JakHussain

11. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Backporting features is always a bit touchy. Usually, we backport only fixes and stability improvements to LTS releases. But this is one is not complex/risky. I'll ask around, no promises!

Pascal

12. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

I have been told this won't be backported. Sorry :(

optimise likes this.
  13. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

This is planned. will be implemented in 2020.2.

Pascal

14. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I assume if "documentationUrl" is present, it won't cause problems in earlier Unity versions than 2020.1 and gets just ignored?

15. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Exactly.

Peter77 likes this.
  16. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

documentationURL works nicely! Is the change log url already available? That is the only link not working right now for my package. 2020.1 support would be highly appreciated.

17. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @ImpossibleRobert ,

Changelog URL (
    changelogUrl
    ) should work starting from Unity 2020.2.0a1. Looks like it was never backported to 2020.1. Sorry!

Pascal

JakHussain likes this.