Search Unity

Changing Default Project File Location

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Aaron_kun, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Aaron_kun

Aaron_kun

Hi, I'm new to the forums and a beginner to programming and using Unity.

I have an SSD tied to my C: drive that I installed my OS on (Windows 8.1). Although it makes my computer faster, it also doesn't allow for much space, and I rely on a 2TB HDD (D: drive) to store the majority of my files.

My default file location for new Unity projects is: C:\Users\MyName\Documents\New Unity Project

I've tried changing the file path to a different area in my D: drive, but it doesn't allow me to create a new project then.

Is there someway that I can change the default file path to one that saves the project to my D: drive? Any help is appreciated!

2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

In the New project window (at least on a Mac) I can click the three blue dots to the right side of the Location text field and choose any folder I want. Does that not work for you? What happens?

Alternatively, create a symlink to point the New Unity Project folder onto your d:\ drive.

3. Aaron_kun

Aaron_kun

It's been resolved. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but it's allowing me to direct the project to my D: drive now, and I didn't need to create a symlink. Thanks for your help.

4. londonwill

londonwill

Where is the "Location text field" - I must change the location of my projects on my Mac HD.
    Spent half an hour trying to do this without success so far :(

BonusB likes this.
  5. Daniacea-Games

Daniacea-Games

You can move a project by cutting and pasting the project folder to a new location in file explorer. Then click Add in Unity Hub and select the folder in the new location.

Pootetu and salman27vps like this.
  6. Ai_Player

Ai_Player

Close out Unity. Move are rename ur Project Root Directory to where ever r what ever you want. Then in File Explorer go to ur project root directory > UserSettings then rename EditorUserSettings.asset to EditorUserSettings.asset-ORG. Then go into Unity Hub and remove ur old listing for ur project. Now in unity hub add from disk ur new location or name of the project u just moved. Now start ur project in unity hub and unity will rebuild this file EditorUserSettings.asset. It works every time for me.

7. PSEntertainment

PSEntertainment

Hello, I'll change my file path as called user/pascal/project1 to user/pas/project1. How does it work? Actually I do not want to miss any projects after changed.