Search Unity

Feature Request Changing cubemap settings runtime (srgb, mipmap and size)

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by WonkeeKim, Jun 2, 2022.

1. WonkeeKim

WonkeeKim

Hi,

Is it possible to change below settings of Cubemap in runtime?
    - sRGB
    - Mipmap
    - Size

It seems it's not possible and I wonder Unity has any plan for enabling this.

I have a cubemap that is captured in runtime, and want to use it as a reflection probe texture.
    (I know there is Realtime type in reflection probe but that will render another cubemap so I don't want it.)

The cubemap is rendered for a different purpose and mipmap is not enabled which disables Standard shader smoothness so I want to change it in runtime.

Thank you

2. bgolus

bgolus

It is not possible, because it's not how graphics APIs work.

When you change a texture asset's settings, what's actually happening behind the scenes is that texture on the GPU is being destroyed, and a new one is being created from scratch.

In your case your cubemap is presumably being rendered on the GPU to a cubemap render texture. If you wanted one that had the above alternate settings, the only way to do that would be to create a new cubemap and copy the data from the original one to the new one. This is something you'd want to do anyway if you're planning on using it for a reflection probe on the standard shader, since you'd need to generate the appropriately blurred mip maps.

WonkeeKim likes this.