Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Changes to pricing

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by xtdiwd, Sep 15, 2023.

1. xtdiwd

xtdiwd

I have read worrying news about Unity's intention to charge a bribe to Unity developers even retroactively from 2024.
    However, even searching through the faq, some things are not clear such as:

* will I have to provide data even before being *able* to have to pay? I don't remember the term used in the faq in this regard but it seemed inappropriate.
    * how do you count pirate copies, since, I suppose, they are modified by preventing access to the internet?
    * How do you know if a game is distributed for charity? Isn't that very different from distributing it for free (as I do) with no advertising and no data collection?
    * I create games (and other programmes) as a hobby and distribute them completely for free, will that change anything for me?
    * The difference between game and non-game is not clear.
    * I'll probably never reach 200,000 installations, I'd like to know if distributing as a stand alone executable on Windows and Linux these copies are counted, also because I usually distribute this way to friends for preliminary testing.
    * If I distribute via google play or apk are they counted?
    * Are the conditions on earnings and number of installations in AND or OR?

I actually expected to find a discussion about this already, but the internal search engine found nothing.
    I would also like to express my 'disappointment' at this unilateral and retroactive change.

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

There's a 180 pages thread ... :rolleyes:

The info you are looking for is definitely in parts in the FAQ and the first post on the thread, specifically the AND is clearly explained as such. I'll summarize the important points ...

Generally speaking, it does not affect you financially. Or most people ranting on and off about this for that matter. You'd have to make > $200,000 in 12 months from one particular game that also has to have more than 200,000 installs (not counting re-installs or illegal copies).

Devs exceeding these limits can sign up for Pro and have boths limits immediately raised to ($)1,000,000 and these limits apply retroactively to the previous month, so Personal license charges can be avoided or reduced.

It's a revenue share. It may not say "%" but that's effectively what it is.

Only new installs made in 2024 onwards will be charged. The previous installs and revenue for that project retroactively count towards the limits but the project will NOT be charged retroactively.

3. xtdiwd

xtdiwd

Only 180? :D
    A sign that search engines can fail.
    Thank you, but there are some questions for which I would like an official answer from Unity. I have read the FAQ.

4. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Then you'd have to try support but I expect they currently get flooded with meme posts. :D

I thought the thread will get removed because we should not open new threads on the same topic.
    So I'll try my best, also in hopes that some people will be more likely to read shorter threads and it may help to get the facts across. Disclaimer: I don't work for Unity, I work with Unity. ;)

You don't provide data. Unity already collects data on published games - but don't ask me how they do it. ;)

First, from what I read there is currently no online tracking built into the runtime. Unless of course you implement services that "dial in" such as Ads or Multiplay.

One problem is, among many: even a pirated game may show ads and thus generate revenue. Just to mention a fringe case.

Honestly, I don't know. Last time I checked the statement was that Unity tries their best to prevent counting fraudulent copies. How they do it? No idea. It will unlikely to be accurate to every single copy, but the same can be said for counting installs in general.

I know it does play into the fear "I lost a sale AND I have to pay for that!". Reality is: few games actually suffer from piracy in a notable manner, and a pirated copy does not amount to a lost sale - that's a misconception.

You're good.

Contrary to a popular meme, if the game is FREE it will not have to pay Unity charges, not even if the installs pass 200,000.
    FREE means: the game does not generate (or generated) revenue through sales, ingame transactions, ads, kickstarter funds or other forms of sponsoring, or other means.

The differentiation is probably only there to note that the new charges do not affect gambling and the other specific uses of Unity (eg Industry) which are already governed by other plans or contracts with non-gaming companies.

Contrary to popular opinion however, it does not mean that gambling industries etc do not have to pay Unity. They likely have their own contracts and terms and this statement exists to make it clear that the new pricing changes do not apply to them.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I recall having read that development "installs" do not count.
    But an end user installing the game on two different (virtual) machines would be counted as two installs/activations.