Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Changes to Configuration options for Builder operating system (OS) and Xcode version

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by scotth-unity, Jan 18, 2023.

1. scotth-unity

scotth-unity

Unity Technologies

In the coming days and weeks, users with a Teams Advanced subscription will notice that the Builder operating system (OS) options available for some build target platforms no longer features the "Automatic" option:
    upload_2023-1-18_7-45-15.png
    The ability to select Builder operating system (OS) was introduced in 2022 at the same time as Metered Billing, to ensure the same cost for the same usage. The "Automatic" option was effectively our legacy mode, which relied on Unity Cloud Build to choose the most appropriate OS when a new build was launched. For more details, please refer to our supported builder OS' by platform.

As we look forward to providing more flexible platform options, it's critical to ensure that builds always run in exactly the same context given a particular configuration of your choosing.

What will change?

Metered Billing users can only select "Mac" or "Windows" and will see no change to the Configuration screen or their configuration data.

Teams Advanced users will see the following changes:
    • Starting on Monday, January 23, configurations in the dashboard will no longer feature the "Automatic" option for Builder operating system (OS) for any platforms
    • POST/UPDATE requests to our "/orgs/??/projects/??/buildtargets[/??]" API routes specifying "settings.operatingSystemSelected: automatic" will return an error
    • Where configuration(s) are using "Automatic", this value will be changed to:
      • "Mac" where this is the only possible option
      • "Windows" where this is an available option
    • Once this is done, you will be able to select either "Mac" or "Windows" based on supported builder OS' by platform
    What can I do myself?

If you would like to set your preferred builder OS before January 23, please review your configurations and, where "Automatic" is selected, choose either "Mac" or "Windows" as supported. Otherwise, this migration will be done automatically.

Thanks,
    Unity Build Automation Team

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  2. dadamsj1

dadamsj1

After selecting "Windows", I save the configuration, build the project. When I return to the configuration, the builder OS is reset to "Mac". Note: If I save and return to configuration without sending the config to the builder, it remains "Windows".

3. Max_F_Unity

Max_F_Unity

Unity Technologies

Following up with the above post, we want to provide advance notice that we will be deprecating the Xcode “latest” value for iOS.

Why? As we focus on releasing new Xcode versions as quickly as possible, it has become very clear that updating this value behind the curtain has a number of unintended consequences:
    1. Builds which succeeded yesterday may suddenly fail without any clear reason
    2. Automatically updating configuration values without your direct input puts the onus on us to address all reasonable edge cases before providing a preview without workarounds like our “experimental” labels
    As a result, we are putting the power in your hands to consciously upgrade Xcode versions when the time is right, knowing that any resulting failures can be easily mitigated by switching back to the previously-selected version while our teams work with you to identify the root cause.

What will change?

In the near-term, we will be making the following changes for iOS configurations:
    • Xcode version will no longer feature the “latest” option
    • POST/UPDATE requests to modify /buildtargets specifying “xcodeVersion: latest” will configure the build target configuration to show the latest stable version at the time the request is made. The response will show the xcode version, rather than latest in the target configuration.
    • Configurations using the “latest” version of Xcode will be reconfigured to the latest stable version currently available in the dashboard. No user action is needed.
    In the mid-term, Xcode versions will be surfaced for the following platforms to be configured directly:
    • MacOS Desktop Universal
    • All non-Apple platforms currently built on MacOS (i.e. Linux, WebGL, and alpha/beta versions)
    We are also working on a bulk update feature so that you can easily update the Xcode version of multiple configurations at once.

What can I do myself?
    If you would like to preempt any data migration, please review your iOS configurations and, where “latest” is selected, choose a specific Xcode version. Otherwise, this migration will be done automatically.

Thanks,
    Unity Build Automation Team