Search Unity

1. How can our website serve you better? Give us your feedback. Take our survey and let us know.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Changes in Prefab done in Play Mode being applied to disk.

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by diegopetrola, Jul 4, 2020.

1. diegopetrola

diegopetrola

Hello everyone,

I have a mesh imported from blender as .fbx. I made it into a prefab and attached a script that alters the mesh in the following away, (this script runs only in Play Mode).
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //First I tryed to just drag the prefab into the Hierarchy and work with it,
    2. //it didnt work either, I tryed this step out of desperation
    3. prefab = Instatiate(myPrefab);
    5. Mesh mesh = prefab.GetComponent<MeshFilter>().mesh;
    6. Vector3[]  vertices = mesh.vertices;
    8. /* do stuff with the vertices */
    10. mesh.vertices = vertices; //I am doing this following Unity's documentation
    Problem is, after doing this, the mesh prefab and the imported .fbx are also changed. I also noticed a big drop in performance, probably because Unity is acessing the disk while these changes are being done in the RAM.
    I dont want this to happen, I want my changes done only in the instance of the object (in the RAM) and my prefab on the disk to be preserved.

If I create my object in Unity's ProBuilder everything works fine, but I want to do it with an imported object for the sake of learning.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

2. diegopetrola

diegopetrola

When trying to update the MeshCollider the "sharedMesh" property was pointing to the mesh on the disk, that's what was causing my troubles. I fixed it now.

unityunity