Search Unity

change scene rotation center?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ryanzec, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ryanzec

ryanzec

How do I change the center point when I am rotating my scene? For instance Select an item in the Hiearchy and the focus it in the scene and then start rotating the scene, it rotates the scene as if the center of the scene what that object. Is there a way of doing this with focusing an item?

2. caitlyn

caitlyn

Rotating the scene view camera is pretty simple. The camera basically rotates around whatever is in the center of the screen. When you press F to focus on a game object, the scene view just pulls up so that the object is in the center. If you want to change whatever it is you are rotating around, just move the scene view camera with Alt+Middle Mouse Button. The camera will then rotate around whatever point is space is at the center of the scene view there.

3. ryanzec

ryanzec

Should that work when moving with Ctrl-Alt (On Windows)?

I have tried both ways and sometimes it does work and sometimes not, the only thing that always works is focusing an item. Could this be a bug?

4. ryanzec

ryanzec

Is no one else experiencing this issue?

5. hjbaard

hjbaard

I have the same problem. I'm working on Windows 7 64 bit.
    Sometimes it just doesn't work.
    But after a while the alt + left mouse button rotates the scene.
    So I think this is a bug :(

6. andeeeee

andeeeee

Have you filed a bug report for it?

7. Tysoe

Tysoe

I always find unitys editor a bit frustrating to navigate. Probably because I'm used to 3dsmax where I have rotation set to orbit around subobject. So the view rotates around your selection whether its object, vertex, edge or whatever.

I didn't really consider that there might be bug with the editor, just figured it was a bit clumsy compared to what I'm used to. Maybe I should look into it some more.

8. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

I know this thread is old and only got bumped by the spam. However, when you find that rotating no longer works, if you click the perspective axis widget in the right corner of the view, and select the cube icon in the centre, it should allow you to rotate once more. It always does for me, anyway. Somehow, Unity seems to occasionally "forget" that you're viewing from a perspective view and needs you to remind it, I guess.

9. Calidan

Calidan

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the work around.