Search Unity

Change resolution of the terrain splat-texture?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by br0kenp0ly, Nov 19, 2008.

1. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

Hi!
    Does anyone know if it`s possible to change the resolution of the splat-texture used for painting textures on the terrain? I see there`s an option to set the resolution under the Terrain-menu, but it also has a warning saying it will reset your entire terrain.

Right now im trying to paint a path on my terrain, but since the splat-map are too low-res, my path turns really blocky.

Anyone?

:)

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

don't raise the splat map size but reduce the terrain size and use multiple terrains.

larger texture sizes will cause some serious slow down on weaker system as each double of size raises the amount of shader ops by a factor of 4

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Change the control texture resolution. That won't reset the physical terrain, but will erase the splatmap. I haven't noticed any particular slow-downs with larger splatmap resolutions...what you want to avoid is going over 4 textures if possible, as each set of 4 (or partial set) requires an additional splatmap which causes the terrain to be drawn again I think, but that's a separate issue.

--Eric

4. br0kenp0ly

br0kenp0ly

Hi guys thanks a lot for your replies!
    I ended up changing the control resolution to 2048 instead of 512 and removed 4 of the 8 terrain textures. Now It`s actually possible to draw a smooth path on the terrain. Wicked!

Thanks again!

5. Kragh

Kragh

And there is no hack to do this without erasing the splat map information? I really just want to take the splat maps, and manually (in photoshop) resizing them. But it seems the maps are stored within the cryptated terrain.asset file. Any way of accessing these maps from outside of unity?

6. Kragh

Kragh

Nothing? It's very frustrating to be able to see these splat maps in the editor, and not being able to do anything to them, outside of Unity :p So close, and yet so far away...

7. gads

gads

I'm trying to modify these textures too.
    Any update on this subject? :roll: