Search Unity

Change one serialized property causes rebuilding all scenes

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Thermos, May 15, 2020.

1. Thermos

Thermos

Hi,

I found out that if you change one serialized property, for example, add a public bool member to a monobehavior class, all scenes gets rebuilt. These scenes don't even have this monobehavior attached, and all scenes are packed separately. Is this behavior intended?

2. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

I'll forward this over to the team for some insight. Which version of Addressables are you currently using?

3. Thermos

Thermos

Thanks, I'm using 2019.2.21f and Addressable 1.8.3

4. Ryanc_unity

Ryanc_unity

Unity Technologies

It's intentional for now as there is not a good way for us to know, at a serialization level, which layouts have changed and which bundles that impacts. This problem is made even worse when the polymorphic serialization system is added on top of that, though this doesn't apply to your case, but does apply to the final set of changes we need to make. We know this is bad and it's on our plate to get fixed.

5. Thermos

Thermos

Thanks. But I found there is a TypeTree setting in SBP, may be there is no need to rebuild at all even if I changed serialization layout, since the serilization system can handle that? Bundles only need to be rebuild if I actually edit and save one of its' assets.

Well. Rebuilding is not actually what hurts me the most, it's hashcode changed. Steam will upload all files if their hash changed. Adding new script should not change untouched bundles' hashcode at all.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020