Search Unity

Change name/organize clips in Timeline Track context menu?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by JohnKP-Mindshow, Aug 9, 2018.

1. JohnKP-Mindshow

JohnKP-Mindshow

Loving playables so far, but ran into a scalability issue with regards to custom playables. I've made a lot of custom playables, to the point where I wish I could sub-menu them out like the GameObject context menu and other menus in unity (see picture for reference for what menu I'm talking about).

It would be awesome if I could organize those list of clips. For example, instead of a clip called 'Add Explosion Clip' being there unsorted with other types of clips, I could organize it to be something like (Effects->SFX->Add Explosion Clip).

At the point where I want to make dozens of custom playables, but don't want them all to be on a flat hierarchy in a unity menu which could end up a nightmare. Is there a way to do this that I'm missing? Poured through the documentation and other forum posts and haven't found anything.

Thanks!

rakkarage likes this.
  2. rakkarage

rakkarage

3. JohnKP-Mindshow

JohnKP-Mindshow

4. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Looks like an oversight on our part. For tracks, they are grouped by namespaces, but that doesn't look to be the case for playable clips. We'll note it and look at correcting that.

My only recommendation is make custom tracks for some of your clips. That will reduce the amount on a single track. For example, something like the following will allow you to put AI scripts together on a track, and remove them from the PlayableTrack menu.

Code (CSharp):
    2. [TrackClipType(typeof(AIScriptAClip))]
    3. [TrackClipType(typeof(AlScriptBClip))]
    4. public class AIScriptTrack : TrackAsset {}

5. JohnKP-Mindshow

JohnKP-Mindshow

Yeah this was my next step, but not an ideal solution. Any ideas when this might land in a release?

6. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

The earliest would be 18.3 (which is in beta very soon), most likely scenario is 19.1.

7. JohnKP-Mindshow

JohnKP-Mindshow

Thanks for the heads up! Went ahead and made multiple track types like you suggested. Designers seem satisfied with that solution enough for now!

8. artem_funzy_games

artem_funzy_games

Have you added some attribute to override grouping playables by namespace? Ideally would be great to have options similar to ScriptableObjects and Create menu but for TimelineTrack and TimelineClip.

P.s, right now found only support of DisplayName attribute, but it changes only name, not path.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021