Search Unity

Change FBXImporter Scale Factor 0.001

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by devel, Apr 14, 2009.

1. devel

devel

Hi,

when importing an *.fbx file its Scale Factor is automatically set to 0.001. I need it to be 1 and therefore change it manually any time a new *.fbx is imported.

Why is it set to 0.001 by default and can I change the settings somehow so that it will remain 1 for every freshly imported *.fbx?

2. caitlyn

caitlyn

Hey Devel,

Good question.

In a nutshell, this has to do with backwards compatibility with FBX scaling used in older Unity projects. Additionally, as I understand it, what Maya's FBX exporter considers a scale of 1, and what Max's exporter considers a scale of 1, are not always the same. We have found that this setting provides the best middle-ground without causing complications. This generally hasn't posed a problem in the workflow, rather it's a slightly counter-intuitive looking aspect of the FBX importer UI.

The solution as you suggested, with a kind of global prefs setting, is a very good one! Especially if a user is working specifically with Maya or Max, and has a consistent scale need. We'll definitely consider that.

best wishes ^-^
    Caitlyn