Search Unity

Change Drag to Quadratic Drag Force

Discussion in 'Physics' started by mentalgear, Aug 1, 2019.

1. mentalgear

mentalgear

I just finished watching the following video from GDC about a talk on how to make physics more realitic in unity.
    The speaker recommends using a quadratic function for drag force in unity instead of the normal linear one.
    However, I don/t seem to find how to change the default drag function in unity. Anyone can give me a hint ?

Video:
    Forward to more or less 18:00 for the comment on drag:
    https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1021921/Designing-with-Physics-Bend-the

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

There isn't a stock option for that but all drag does is manipulate the velocity, something which you are free to do using whatever function you like.

3. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

mentalgear likes this.
  4. mentalgear

mentalgear

Wow, great thank you Melv so much !
    In case I want quad. drag for all my objects in the scene, would I need iterate over all the game objects and attach a script called quad. drag to them, or is there a more elegant solution ?

Since you seem to work with Unity, and since Unity seems to explore other phX engines and also wants to become a player for (robot) simulations (that's actually what I explore unity for), wouldn't it make sense to add quadratic/realistic drag as a chosable default ?

5. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

It could be added but would require changing the respective physics engines (Box2D and PhysX source) and there's not been a huge call for it. Things tend to get implemented prioritised on that.