Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Feedback change check is slow + bug

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by laurentlavigne, Dec 7, 2019.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I commit a change from this machine and shortly after I'm greeted with checking change progress bar - that's a bug
    then there is how slow it is, I suggest you guys rethink checksum like this:
    separate checksum into asset types in a hierarchy so there are checksums of checksums, one for all meshes, one for all scenes etc... this way you just check a couple of checksums instead of a million and if one is != then you drill down, always hierarchically by some system you come up with.

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi laurent, which version of Collaborate and Unity are you using? v2.0 does not have the "Checking for Changes" progress bar.

Thank you for the suggestion on the checksum handling. I'll pass that feedback on to the team.

3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

this is the collab that comes with 2019.3f1, should I update collab in the package manager?

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I would recommend saving a copy of your project and giving v2.0-preview.17 of the Collaborate package a try to see what you think. You can access it from the Package Manager.

If you don't like the package then you can always revert back to your latest commit that used v1.2.16 of Collaborate, and have the backed up project in case the revert doesn't behave as expected.

5. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

ok I'll switch to that

6. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

so far the new version is buggier than before on commit
    here is what happens during a commit:
    checking assets for a few minutes and when i see that bandwidth is zero i stop it, it hasn't committed anything.commit again and now it's uploading
    every single time #1204863

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

With v2.0, the check for changes happens in the background so that it doesn't block the Editor. However, the check is still necessary for the commits to succeed because Collaborate needs to verify that no changes have been omitted during the publish process.

8. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

not bad, it should show something is up and the bug i logged still applies

9. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

confirming, scanning on a project that's not been changed since last commit isn't normal
    whatever technique is used for checksum needs to be rethought + it's taking about 10x as long as it used to a year ago, on a gig line
    upload_2019-12-14_20-58-59.png

10. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

You're right that the UI should be more responsive, which is what we've done with v1.3.2+ of the Collaborate package, currently only available in 2020.1+ of Unity.

We will take this bug and file it towards our plans to update the backend of Collaborate next year. Does the Collab Toolbar every finish scanning your Project after you leave it running? Around how large is the Assets folder of your Project?

11. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

it does, and commit shows up with the progress circle but when the circle is finished it goes back to the commit list for a second before showing the checkmark, so there is a timing bug in the gui

12. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Upon using this version of collab a few more days I don't think it's doing any sort of check in the background because even with script only changes it's taking a copious amount of time before showing the list of changes.

Have you downgraded your collab servers?

How do you compute checksum and send that over the line?

also what's the point of showing me

also this... uh guys, I know what I just commited

upload_2019-12-18_22-19-20.png

13. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

and this
    upload_2019-12-22_3-46-49.png
    not sure if it worked or not...

14. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

We haven't downgraded our servers in any way.

We calculate a MD5 hash when the Asset Datbase tells us that a file has been changed.

The reason for showing the most recent commit message was so that the user can verify that they are up to date with the latest version of the Project and be reminded of what those changes were. The New Collab UX in v1.3.2 modifies how this information is presented so that there is less duplication of information between the Change and History tabs.