Search Unity

Question Change Animation State via Code at Run-time

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by local306, Jan 29, 2021.

1. local306

local306

Anyone know of a way to change for example the Mirror parameter of an individual state at run-time via code without having to create an explicit bool? Like basically alter AnimatorState.mirror but independent of the UnityEditor namespace (since you can't build with that).

I have a pool of idle animations and it would be nice to make them a little more varied by being able to crossfade into one another but have like a 50% chance of being mirrored or not.

2. adehm

adehm

Can just make the code that triggers the state to begin with do a random to find which state it will choose and in the animator you would set up transitions between all the different states that could be chosen.

3. local306

local306

Hoping to avoid this as I don't understand why there isn't a code API to handle this programmatically. Like all of the states in the idle animation controller are only called using their animation clip name since I can randomize all of the sequences far more easily in code versus having to set up transitions away from everything.

To me it's a huge missed opportunity not being able to access the states themselves at runtime for an animation controller.