Search Unity

Change Action Maps for Dialogue System

Discussion in 'Input System' started by Dieter_Dagger, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Dieter_Dagger

Dieter_Dagger

I'd like a text based dialogue system, similar to a Bethesda game like Fallout or Elder Scrolls.

I've got Ink integrated, and most of that works, I'm just having trouble switching between action maps for the Gameplay and UI.

I've tried:

InputManager.Gameplay.Disable();
    InputManager.UI.Enable();

That works within the specific script, but not across the entire project.
    I could systematically pull all of my scripts and and run this, but that might be expensive?

Is there a cleaner way of switching between action maps across the entire project that I am unaware of?

I know this is a beginner question and should be simple, but it's been eating up a lot of my time looking for an answer on forums, videos, and manuals.

Much appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  2. Dieter_Dagger

Dieter_Dagger

Four days later - There is no way I could list the amount of problems I had to check in order to find out what was preventing me from making this work. I won't go into what the many problems were, but I'll clarify that it wasn't my other action maps getting in the way.

There's no need to disable/enable your Action Maps to interact with canvas UI. On the EventSystem game object there's an Input System UI Input Module, and it has a field for Actions Asset. By default, it's populated with DefaultInputActions, and my other action maps aren't interfering with it.