Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Chainsaw Ninja In Space - Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by GargerathSunman, Feb 3, 2017.

1. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

I'm working on prototypes for my game as the Kickstarter continues. At this point I'm not likely to be funded, but I'm pushing forward with updating the prototypes with art so that they're playable.

Mainly just looking for feedback (and a pledge if you feel like it) so I can make the prototypes new and improved in round two.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1365713495/chainsaw-ninja-in-space-0

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

July, 2017 - All rewards shipped
    September, 2017 - Asset list complete and contractors/employees hired
    November, 2017 - Combat prototype
    December, 2017 - Ship and character management prototypes
    March, 2018 - Galaxy and UI prototypes
    September, 2018 - Alpha release
    December, 2018 - Beta release + Early Access on Steam
    April, 2019 - Final release
    The above may be delayed and/or accelerated based on the level of funding acquired, but the game will be released by end of year 2019 regardless of how funded it becomes.

I've already gotten cost estimates from the vendors and artists that I'll be working with, so I know the exact cost of production.

Challenge: I'm currently working full time and making this project in my spare time.
    Solution: I've been particularly efficient with my spare time recently, working a minimum of 20-30 hours on this project every week.

The one thing I see about the kickstarter is mainly the drawn out development timeline, though I can see why because you have a full time job.
    Have you considered descoping the game in order to release in a more reasonable timeframe?

One comment and question about the timeline. I also work full time in a career field. I've been working on a game for a little over 2 weeks and my design doc includes a complete asset list, to include each step needed to complete each asset, and extra assets to develop for updates if the game does reasonably well. - Since you've been working on this for four years now - how come the complete asset list isn't already set in stone? Why is it going to take until September 2017 to complete a finished asset list?

I really have no comment about the game beyond - the movement controls seem a little odd with the character always facing to the side, so the character turning become a bit analogue, like a dungeon crawler.

3. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

The asset list will be affected by the success of the Kickstarter and the number of non-digital pledges. The primary asset list is set in stone, but there are a lot of things I'd like to do with this game if it gets funded, and the assets involved will depend greatly on the direction I and the backers wish to go in.

The movement is intentionally like that in order to allow for 2D fighting mechanics in a 3D world. We have had many discussions about potentially switching it to full 3D movement, but it's very difficult to make solid melee combat in a fully 3D space, and the chainsaw combat is central to the game design.

As for the timeline, please bear in mind that the timeline will essentially be cut in half if the game is funded to the $150,000+ mark. At that point I'll be able to work on the game full time.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Are you saying - if the game gets funded the scope will be greater than if the game does not get funded?
    Game development and scope in lieu of KS success - is rather mystical in planning and approach.
    Isn't it better to have a solid plan and scope in place for the base KS funds, and place additional scope and more/better assets where they belong, beyond the initial funding mark?

This is an interesting approach. I understand 100% the discussions you have had, as I've also worked on an (undisclosed) game that had melee fighting at its core mechanic, but had other rpg-esque, and action oriented mechanics.
    I'm sure I can't suggest any 'like' games to check out for reference that you have not already researched. \
    Although if you have already tested/prototyped 3rd person perspective gameplay, with a transitioning camera to a side view, what was the take-aways from those tests. Were there any tests performed that 'could' potentially work for this game, beyond making the traversal completely side-scroller like?

The first game that I thought about while reading your response was God of War, and although the first and second game was set camera angles, the 3rd game was a lot more loose and player controlled.
    Square Enix also developed a game ages ago that was not very popular (I can't remember the name of the game) but I thought the game had some great 3rd person melee action, with well done camera and controls. It was essentially a 3rd person action based fighting game.

5. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

The base funding mark is already fully asset listed. The only areas that are loose are the areas beyond base funding, and even those have general details filled out.

The only way we got third-person melee combat feeling good was when the view was really zoomed out. We wanted to go with a more up-close and personal view. However, the feedback we've gotten on the sidescroller movement has been slightly negative, so we'll probably revisit the discussion if the game isn't funded.

If we did scrap the sidescrolling, we'd probably go with an angled top-down style camera. The movement engine is fully capable of 3D movement and pathfinding, so it wouldn't take much effort to switch.

theANMATOR2b likes this.