Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Chained Rigidbodies (using Configurable Joint) exploding

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Robot_Rebellion, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Robot_Rebellion

Robot_Rebellion

I've chained a series of Rigidbodies together using Configurable Joint with the intention of simulating a rope. I had some difficulty getting the rotation limits oriented with the axes of the rope (rather than the default right angle from axis) but managed to find slightly less than conventional method of getting the arc of the limits oriented correctly by using a negative value (-1 on anchor z axis) and (from what I can tell) the wrong orientation, but correct in the manner it limits the motion (along the axis rather than at a right angle). This seemed to improve the realism and stability of the simulation. However, the rope will have considerable force applied to it and is stable up to a point, until the physics engine catastrophically fails, sending the colliders in all directions (physics explosion). I noticed that increasing the mass also increases stability but at the expense of responsiveness (latency). The segments will lag more with increasing mass which is not desirable. I'm trying to make a more robust force tolerant simulation without having to increase mass which will cause the rope to not be able to keep up with the oscillation force applied. I made the model from scratch and ensured that the scale is correct (scaling values are 1,1,1 in Unity). Increasing mass/ drag/ angular drag/ is more stable but laggy - increasing any of the dampers in configurable joint does not prevent chain reactions that lead to physics explosions from occurring, as one would expect. I tried changing from discreet to continuous collision detection but this offers just a slight improvement. Is there a way to increase stability w/o introducing undesirable lag? Was it because the rotation limits were not "optimally" setup perhaps?
    Screenshot (194).png Screenshot (195).png ?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019