Search Unity

CG profile support and intrinsic functions

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by skahlert, Apr 2, 2007.

1. skahlert

skahlert

Hi,

is it possible, that the only supportet CG profile is arbfp1? I'm currently evaluating Unity Pro and I tried to write a simple transparent/reflecting shader. For this, of course, the "reflect()" and "refract()" functions would be very helpful, but they do not work.

And I guess hdr-fortmats like OpenEXR do not work either?

2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Not sure why they don't work; Cg manual says they are supported in all profiles.

Yes, currently Cg compiles for arbvp1/arbfp1 profiles (that's ARB vertex program and fragment program). The higher profiles are nvidia-hardware specific and would not work on AMD or Intel cards.

By the way, take a look at water shaders in Pro Standard Assets - they all have the source code.

Right. Floating point texture formats are not supported at the moment.

3. skahlert

skahlert

Thanks for your help!

Well, that problem with the reflect-function was my error. I fiddled to much with the profile property and forgot to set it back to arbfp1.

It's a pity, though, that there is no support for higher profiles. Most of my nicer shaders really need at least fp20.

Is there a road-map for shader3.0 support or high-precision textures?

4. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Well, fp20 is actually lower than arbfp1 (fp20 is like shader model 1.x, while arbfp1 is like shader model 2.0).

5. skahlert

skahlert

Okay... since I'm coming from the Win/DirectX platform I guessed, that fp20 is the ps_2_0 equivalent. So - if I'm not mistaken (again) - glslf is, what I would need for Pixelshader 3.0, right?

6. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

The profiles in Cg are confusing indeed. Most of NV-specific profile names coincide with NV architecture names (so fp20 is for NV20 hardware, which is GeForce3/4Ti, etc.).

arbfp1 is a pretty close match to ps_2_0, and arbvp1 is a pretty close match to vs_1_1. Cg's GLSL output (glslf) is currently not supported in Unity, mostly because Cg currently tends to produce buggy GLSL code.

[rant]GLSL does not exactly correspond to vs_3_0/ps_3_0 in Direct3D; the ideology seems to be "you write GLSL program and then it runs... or it does not... or it kicks into software rendering mode".[/rant]