Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ceto (Scrawks Ocean)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by scrawk, May 4, 2015.

1. John-G

John-G

Latest version is really starting to shine, Deferred is working great now and no longer getting clipping of the ocean grid when camera is at height or rotated above horizon.

Sequence of shots showing ocean from close to water to viewed from high up.
    Camera far clip set to 50000:

:D

ZJP, scrawk, elias_t and 1 other person like this.
  2. DeadNinja

DeadNinja

Iam always got this on all ceto dx11 builds on my ATI FirePro V when wind speed > 0 ocean_bug.png

3. MylesLambert

MylesLambert

Looking fantastic Scrawk, look forward to see this asset released :)

Do you think it would be possible to get wave crest vector world positions in script? I'm thinking it would be great to be able to spawn mist/ spray particles at the wave crests to really bring things alive!

*eagerly watching*

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This surprisingly did make the previous version look a bit crap! well done scrawk!

5. radimoto

radimoto

The new demo is very impressive! Getting a solid 60fps on my P750ZM 980m laptop, in 4K resolution! :)

6. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Looks nice, but why is there a rainbow? :)

Performance on my crummy laptop, around 20fps on dx11 build and 18 on dx9. But this laptop is nothing really :p

7. scrawk

scrawk

@Tiny Man: Not sure but was thinking about $60. Yes performance is poor on lower end hardware at the moment.

@DeadNinja: Its not working for any AMD cards at the moment. I will buy one and sort it out sometime soon.

@MylesLambert: I will be adding spray on the wave crests at some point but not sure how to detect there exact position at the moment. Have a few ideas and I think it will be possible.

@hippocoder and @radimoto: Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  8. John-G

John-G

Just one of the fantastic atmospherics modeled in Truesky, they even model the northern lights of your set to correct location.
    And yes they have a rainbow too, of the proper kind ;)
    I have to say I have pretty much tried all water and sky systems available on asset store and Truesky and Ceto in my opinion are the definitive choice.

@scrawk you should talk to Roderick (Truesky), would be great to push these two systems to the limit on what they can do together. :)

9. Maxi77

Maxi77

Im running the demo on a brand new laptop with 980m aswell, but im only getting 25fps (1920x1080, Graphics quality "fastest"). I dont have that much experience with unity builds, so maby I have missed something?? :)

10. spraycanmansam

spraycanmansam

Make sure the browser or player is set to use your NVIDIA GPU instead of the integrated graphics if you have both :)

11. Elecman

Elecman

Looks very nice but the boat needs some inertia applied to it as it moves very sudden at times. Also, small waves make the boat vibrate.

The foam looks a lot better, but I think it should be even more concentrated at the peaks and trailing edge of the wave.

12. scrawk

scrawk

Well as always, as soon as you make a update new bugs appear. I just noticed that if vsync is off there is a nasty spike in frame time every few seconds. This makes the boat jerk forward suddenly as the frame rate locks up and then jumps back normal. I think I know what the issue is but a fix will have to wait until next update. As long as vsync is on it doesnt seem to be a problem.

@John G. : I brought TrueSky the other day. Looks complicated and havnt got around to looking at the manual yet.

@Maxi77: Not sure sorry. One time I was having performance problems with my laptop and it turned out the GPU was disabled and it was falling back to the integrated chip.

@Elecman: I think the sudden movement maybe related to the issue mention above. Over all my buoyancy scripts are crap and need to be rewritten. The foam will get some more features like trails at some point.

John-G and hippocoder like this.
  13. ZJP

ZJP

Very very professional. :cool:

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Just use the wizard and it'll set up itself - it is just a script to control it, and another to render. AFAIK it needs a transparency component to render all transparent objects in - which I feel is not a good thing really, and Unity should just fix their quite obviously AAA-middleware unfriendly parts so we can use top quality middleware without hacky workarounds ;)

Also I found a minor issue - ceto seems to hitch or pause every so often, might be a collection spike, might be something else - was in the new demo executable for DX11.

Will try at home soon. Do you have any advice for how water meets a solid object, for example fading at shallows, it seems a bit dark in shallows still, and wondering if that's tweakable or just WIP (along with foam around rocks or shores, but I know you're working that part out).

15. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Yeah, the jitteryness in the demo is just because of the camera/ship combination. My scripts are smoothed out using real world type motion and it doesn't exhibit that at all. My latest dev video shows the ocean in action with 3200ton sailing ships and shows how the inertia system works in our game in conjunction with Ceto.

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Oh it's just everything pauses for a microsecond so I thought it was GC collect or something.

17. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Not sure how my comment got so far out of order, but I was actually replying to the jittery boat in the demo comment. Sorry about that.
    I used to see an occasional GC collect that can spike the process, though I have not tested for that in the latest build that is out.

hippocoder likes this.
  18. Maxi77

Maxi77

Thx :) 60fps + at best quality now.

19. scrawk

scrawk

There is a bit of a GC spike. Still trying to track the cause down. There is also a bigger pause of about 90ms if sync is of. Think that's a different issue.

If the waters a bit dark in the shallows you may need to decrease the inscatter. It's found on the underwater script. Adjust it with the waves small as when they get bigger the water automatically gets less clear to hide some of the issues big waves cause. Maybe this still needs some more work.

20. XaneFeather

XaneFeather

Okay, this looks very promising!

We would be very interested to try this out in our project in conjunction with truSky™. Any plans for shore simulation / rendering?

21. Seith

Seith

I agree this looks super nice. I just tried the demo and with a bit of tweaking I was able to get very satisfying results (the best result I have ever seen in Unity actually).

I only have one note: the foam appearance/color is a little to busy and contrasty but I think that if we could control the tiling, texture and color that shouldn't be a problem.

The only thing (from my point of view) that's missing to make this a production-ready asset is a nice shore effect (and optionally a proper underwater system).

22. scrawk

scrawk

Yes, there will be shorelines added at some point.

Thanks. You can control the foam texture, normal texture, color tint, intensity, amount, smoothing and coverage. The foam is still a bit of a WIP.

Both shorelines and under water will be added at some point.

Seith and hippocoder like this.
  23. jason-fisher

jason-fisher

Is it possible to adjust gravity?

24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You can adjust wave height + wind speed if that's what you mean? Wind speed makes for bigger waves and height is height of ocean rendering... (so far as I've tried - there is no gravity option I can see).

25. scrawk

scrawk

Theres no gravity setting sorry.

The GC frame spike issue and the 90ms frame spike have been fixed. The GC issue was just a array of colors being created to often and the 90ms spike was a contested lock issue in the threaded task/scheduler system. This was mostly happening when vsync was off as the increased frequency of updates made a lock more likely to be contested.

If these spikes are a problem for any of the beta testers you can PM me and I will send you the updated code. If not then you will have to wait for the next update which will be in a few weeks.

CaptainMurphy, John-G and hopeful like this.
  26. Xtense

Xtense

Hello :)

Would it be possible to purchase beta access, perhaps? We're working on a flightsim project right now and could use large swaths of water - your project fits our needs perfectly :) .

Best regards,
    Xtense

27. scrawk

scrawk

Sorry but Im not taking any more beta testers.

I am thinking of doing a early release which would be similar to the current demo but with a few more features and polish. This could be ready in a month or so.

Uli_Okm, Rycons, Licarell and 2 others like this.
  28. Karearea

Karearea

Giant flying walrus' everywhere think this is a superb idea..

29. sadicus

sadicus

Looking good!
    DX11
    • intel Graphics HD 4000 = 7 fps
    • nvidia GeForce 680M = 59-61 fps
    ceto_n680MDX11_01.jpg

30. scrawk

scrawk

Just letting the beta testers know I just found some issues with the BRDF lighting.

I dont think the normals/tangents are quite right so it may look a bit weird from certain light directions.

Just trying to fix it now.

John-G likes this.
  31. John-G

John-G

Nice one, just upgrading to Windows 10 so will see if that causes any issues.

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No worries, Scrawk, really looking forward to testing the next round whenever you are ready!

33. scrawk

scrawk

If anyone needs the fix for the lighting bug here it is.

At the bottom of the OceanTopSideBRDF shader there is this line

Code (csharp):
    2. o.Normal = norm3.xzy;
    3. o.DNormal = norm1.xzy;
    Im using a couple of different normals with levels of detail for the lighting. For example the specular looks better with a high detail normal (norm3) while the diffuse lighting looks better with a low detail normal (norm1).

You need to replace that line with this.

Code (csharp):
    2. o.Normal = TangentSpaceNormal(norm3);
    3. o.DNormal = norm1;
    where TangentSpaceNormal is

Code (csharp):
    2. float3 TangentSpaceNormal(float3 worldNormal)
    3. {
    4.     worldNormal.z *= -1.0;
    5.     return worldNormal.xzy;
    7. }
    The world to tangent space needs the z flipped and the DNormal (diffuse normal) needs to be in world space as Unity doesnt know this is a normal and wont apply the tangent to world transform before the light stage .

Rycons, John-G and hippocoder like this.
  34. L0ri3n

L0ri3n

Hi Scrawk. Great work on this. Any updates on an open beta or when we can purchase this on the Asset store?

35. scrawk

scrawk

The plan at the moment is to have the last beta update at the end of the month and then start doing a open beta.

Not too sure how to do the open beta at the moment. Don't want to put it on the asset store until finished. Was just thinking people could PM me for a copy in return for payment through PayPal. There will still be features missing but it should be close to completion.

If that doesn't sound like a good idea I can just wait and put it on the asset store when done but that could be a extra 6 weeks.

Rycons likes this.
  36. Rycons

Rycons

Sounds good to me scrawk. Looking forward to the open beta!

37. elbows

elbows

Are you able to add those people as customers of your asset store product later though, so they are able to get updates via the asset store later? Otherwise it would be a bit of a pain.

Are you hoping to fix the problems with AMD GPU's before it goes to open beta?

38. kideternal

kideternal

I'm a big fan of an Open Beta. It'll give us time to get it working in our environments and raise any major issues we might discover.

I'm planning to release my project in a couple of weeks, so I may not even wait for a release version depending on how it performs.

39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm thinking it's probably wise to have a paid-open beta because typically with open betas without payment, you get people just freeloading and offering very little feedback or investment in helping. People who pay, are invested and will feedback fairly hard :)

plus you can hand out asset store vouchers to those open beta members once you go live to make it easy to distribute thereafter.

40. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

As long as we get a voucher for the asset store after the beta is over I am all for the open beta.

Karearea and radimoto like this.
  41. scrawk

scrawk

Will hopefully have the AMD bug fixed for the open beta.

Will make sure everyone in the beta gets a assets store voucher. Can't remember where I read it but I think you can only give away 12 vouchers a year?

Either way I will be starting a company and will have a website where people can log in and download the latest version.

elbows, John-G and CaptainMurphy like this.
  42. scrawk

scrawk

Iv had quite a few people interested in this for engineering applications like visual displays for oil rigs, wind farms, ship simulations and more.

For these sort of applications its possible that the scenes would be much simpler and the frame rate wont matter as much as it would in a game. So one of the things Ive done this week is added in the option of doing the fourier for the wave displacements on the GPU. In the previous beta the displacements only ran on the CPU and only a size up to 128 was practical. By running on the GPU I can go up to 512. The catch is that I need to read back the data for the Buoyancy and to find the range of the wave heights for the projected grid. This is very slow taking 20ms at 512 and 10ms at 256.

These settings would not be useful for most games but I think for some visual demos were looking pretty is more important they could be handy. Also I would expect these speeds to get better as newer cards come out and maybe I will be able to improve these speeds some how.

I would be interested in knowing what sort of speeds newer cards are getting for these extreme settings so I have released a demo with all the settings on extreme. I have a GTX770 and its runs at 30fps.

Heres the link. Dont try and run this unless you have a good GPU.

CetoBetaWindowsBuildDX11EXTREME

Ive also added a extreme setting for the projected grid resolution. Heres a screen shot of the wireframe.

Ocean40.jpg

sashahush, DeadNinja, Rycon and 9 others like this.
  43. lazygunn

lazygunn

Right, firstly, that looks absolutely incredible and one of the most impressive things i've ever seen on a computer I actually own, and wasnt on a TV. Secondly I got about 37fps on a GTX 970 at 1080p which given the circumstances is very respectable - for a machine built for high end visualisation a graphics setup like a paired 970 or much higher i imagine would be the norm in which case the performance is again, imo, more than respectable. If that was a toggleable option for those with megapcs in a game, it would make people very happy. I'd like a demo to play with where I can fool with various options like fourier sizes and grid densitys to see if I can enable a VR mode and hit the target 90fps VR 'minimum' and get a similar kind of visual and then yeah. A bunch of people will be going on about how good the water looks on Unity. Wouldn't happen to be hiring would you? Aha..

Edit: Worth noting that a 970 is the oculus stated minimum spec regarding VR on PC, so this is really good going

44. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's weird. I get 60fps solid on my 780 ti. Wonder why an older card would be so much faster? I merely ran the new extreme demo and chose 1080p full screen.

Edit: on closer inspection the 780 Ti has significantly higher floating point performance and higher compute shader performance, so I guess in this rare case, it trounces it's newer brethren.

spraycanmansam and John-G like this.
  45. lazygunn

lazygunn

Could be i was using two monitors too that didnt help. Either way nicely done. I think it's been fairly normal for nvidia cards to be slack on compute until the *80 up (I've just moved from a 580 which outperformed a bunch of nvidia's newer cards in compute until the *80 version of each series), could you check your card against a 980?

Ive recorded a video of the ocean and it should be ready on youtube short;y, i'll post it assuming thats considered a good idea

John-G likes this.
  46. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'm assuming scrawk doesn't mind, here's a video of this beauty in motion

47. John-G

John-G

Getting approx 20fps on a GTX660 running at 1680*1050. Not use-able for me, but boy doesn't it look beautiful :cool:.

48. Rycon

Rycon

Demo runs at a stable 41fps on GTX 980 @ 1080p

49. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This isn't making sense - the 780 ti mauling better cards framerates. Therefore this could point to an optimisation thing so it's all good information. Clearly, a 980 would be better than a 780 ti, therefore it could be something we are missing.

Or maybe you guys have really sucky ram or something other going on making your cards run far from optimal?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  50. bbennett2

bbennett2

I have a 970. Ran the demo at 1080p with 40 fps. This asset is insanely good. I stumbled on to this forum through playing and reading up on stranded deep.... This will look amazing in that game.

My only bit of criticism i can offer is the foam. The foam kind of appears a bit at random sometimes and tends to fizzle out abruptly. It gives the illusion sometimes that the foam is flowing against the current instead of with it. If it were possible to create the foam at max wave height and then have it float over a wave or two before dissipating, i think it would look more realistic. This video is the best i can find to illustrate what im talking about.

Just my 2 cents. I have no real unity experience so i have no clue if what i said is even possible. I just thought id give you a gamer's impression on the visuals.

With that said, i check this every day just to see the gorgeous fake water porn!