Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Ceto (Scrawks Ocean)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by scrawk, May 4, 2015.

1. xdkSPG

xdkSPG

@vedddycent
    We're still using Ceto in a released title and have just updated to 2018.2.0f2 and Ceto is still working.
    However we're not using the Ceto buoyancy as it wasn't what we wanted for our title, instead we use a point based sampling like a lot of older water systems use to get the height for a grid of points within a volume.

Now the reason that I came here today.

I've been trying to get a roving/floating origin system working which has been covered in previous posts such as https://forum.unity.com/threads/ceto-scrawks-ocean.323545/page-28#post-2534877

And for the most part this works, however we get a one frame graphical glitch but we're updating the AddFoamTrail objects and offseting the Ceto ocean grid which all looks correct. It almost looks like the shoreline foam is the culprit but I haven't definitively tracked it down yet.

Does any else have any experience with roving-origins and Ceto that can shed some light on what this might be?

Thanks

Andy

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  2. xdkSPG

xdkSPG

Just to followup on this, it looks like we can fix/avoid the problem by updating the overlay (UpdateOverlay()) after the call to WaveOverlay.Translate.

This has probably been covered earlier in the thread but I either missed it or misunderstood it :)

Hope that it helps others out.

Andy

jangomoose and twobob like this.
  3. bluroy

bluroy

Do you have video texture? Please, i need something like sea of thieves...
    Thanks!

4. Harekelas

Harekelas

For buoyance, you should look at this asset:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/dynamic-water-physics-89928

It's the best buoyance system I've seen in the store, others will just blow my objects into sky if the ocean got violent waves.

5. veddycent

veddycent

Thanks for the reply Harekelas,

I used another one from the asset store, I can't remember which one but it is slightly cheaper.
    Anyway, it's nice to know of another buoyancy system :)

6. Tony-Lovell

Tony-Lovell

I and several other Ceto users (former and current -- I still use it) have set up a Slack for Naval Simulation on Unity.

Anyone who would like to chat with others facing the common challenges can join using this invitation link.

Tony

ftejada and jangomoose like this.
  7. Unity-IBR

Unity-IBR

Hi everyone
    I have a 3d model ship and, inside, the model of the command bridge with glass.
    If my camera is outside the model, the sea has no problem. If I bring the camera inside the command bridge (therefore it penetrates objects) the sea disappears or works incorrectly.
    Is it the fault of the Ceto asset? Has anyone already happened to this?
    Thank you @scrawk

8. Redrag

Redrag

Has anyone any ideas for best way of reducing tiling? It is quite visible when the waves are set low (low wind speed).

9. veddycent

veddycent

Which shader are you using transparent or opaque?
    If I remember correctly one works with transparent materials and the other doesn't

10. veddycent

veddycent

I think the only way is to increase the quality of Ceto using the UI.
    The settings are all there, you just need play around with them.

11. ceebeee

ceebeee

konsic, xdkSPG, ron-bohn and 6 others like this.
  12. Gabriel_SG

Gabriel_SG

That's awesome! I'm surprised Scrawk didn't post the announcement here.
    This should breath some life into Ceto! :D

muzboz and jangomoose like this.
  13. iddqd

iddqd

Does anybody know what needs to be done to get Ceto working with SteamVR?
    I'm using the version from Github and added CETO_USE_STEAM_VR.

It works but tilting the head causes some offset in the far away see.

14. MarcopoloR

MarcopoloR

Apparently with 2019.1 the underwater component no longer works with Ceto. When I attach the underwater post effect to the camera and push play there is a black screen now in the game view.
    Edit, just found out is has something to do with the post processing layer, not sure what yet. And it is only the above water that is rendered black. ...and it is with the directly to camera target checked.

15. Exbleative

Exbleative

Couple of questions:
    1. I can see what looks like unfinished/untested reflection probe usage for Ceto - did anyone ever get that working?
    2. Is there a way to make wave overlays affected (masked out) by shore masks? I have long wave overlays moving toward a coast line that I'd like to be masked out/reduced/removed by the shore mask.

16. kideternal

kideternal

Yeah, that's what shore mask is for. The "Height Mask" will reduce the wave heights, and "Clip Mask" will remove the ocean completely. In my projects, I just use the same shore mask image for both, plus "Foam Mask" for foamy edges.

xdkSPG likes this.
  17. Exbleative

Exbleative

Doesn't happen for me. In my project the shore height mask does reduce standard waves but wave overlays/height always appears whether the shore height mask is used or not.

18. am_salperton

am_salperton

I've been trying to figure that out, but most oceans for Unity seem to have horrible problems with VR.

19. Exbleative

Exbleative

Anyone ever run into an issue where Ceto water disappears if you reload a scene or additive load from another scene?

20. Exbleative

Exbleative

We have further narrowed the above issue down, we're losing mesh filter references. Here's the error:

<color=red>Ceto (1.1.4) Error:</color> System.NullReferenceException
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.MeshFilter.get_mesh(UnityEngine.MeshFilter)
    at Ceto.ProjectedGrid.ResetBounds (Ceto.ProjectedGrid+Grid grid) [0x00055] in <39d88355d6b5447c841fec0ce25954cc>:0
    at Ceto.ProjectedGrid.UpdateGrid (Ceto.ProjectedGrid+Grid grid) [0x00000] in <39d88355d6b5447c841fec0ce25954cc>:0
    at Ceto.ProjectedGrid.Update () [0x0009a] in <39d88355d6b5447c841fec0ce25954cc>:0

Were using 2018.3 and the latest github Ceto.

It's a build-only problem. If we load the scene with the ocean first, it renders fine. If we reload the scene again though, or additively load from another scene, the ocean doesn't render and we get the above error.

It seems we're missing a MeshFilter reference in ResetBounds, and there's two bits of code like this which is (to my novice coder eyes) the culprit:

for (int i = 0; i < count; i++)
    {
    grid.topFilters.mesh.bounds = bounds;
    }

Here's a debug log showing the list of mesh filters working correctly/finding references:

== UNDER FILTERS: Ceto UnderSide Grid LOD: HIGH Ceto UnderSide Grid LOD: HIGH Ceto UnderSide Grid LOD: HIGH Ceto UnderSide Grid LOD: HIGH Ceto UnderSide Grid LOD: etc

But when we see the error, right as we activate the scene, during CreateGrid() my debug shows all the mesh filters being null.

== UNDER FILTERS: null null null null null null null null null null null null

Totally stuck at this point so would love a hand if anyone has any ideas!

21. WimB

WimB

@scrawk Is there a solution for water on ipad? We just did a build and the water is not working, works in the editor in play mode just not on the build. Just wondered if its supported?
    Thanks

22. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

I had VR planar reflections working with Ceto once upon a time. It was absolutely gorgeous...not had much luck in recent versions of unity though unfortunately. It really is a shame that water reflections in VR aren't more of a standard priority.

jangomoose likes this.
  23. muzboz

muzboz

Not sure if anyone ever replied to this, but there is info in the Ceto manual about what you need to do to get CETO working nicely with Steam VR.

Check out the manual here. It's for CETO 1.1.3, but should still be correct for more recent versions of CETO.

Of note, this might be what you're looking for...

"From Unity version 5.4 you must use the USE_OCEAN_DEPTH_PASS as the depth mode on the underwater component with SteamVR. The new changes mean that the USE_DEPTH_BUFFER option is not correct for each eye."

24. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I wish the author hadn't deprecated this, I thought it was the best looking water I've seen in Unity.