Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Ceto (Scrawks Ocean)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by scrawk, May 4, 2015.

1. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Agreed. I was just surprised to see anything on the author's website since I remember the author had taken down his website quite a while a go. That was until captainmurphy posted a link to his site with a recent date.

2. LinuxPenguin

LinuxPenguin

@Harekelas
    Oh that's really sad to hear, I'm aware that it was deprecated but I was wishing to at least download an old version because I've gotten super far with my project, so If you have a Ceto copy that your not using, is it possible that I can buy it?
    (BTW: I found a pirated copy of Ceto on some youtube download link, and if you know people who have a copy of this ocean system can you tell them that i'm interested in purchasing it? )

Thanks,
    LinuxPenguin

3. Harekelas

Harekelas

I'm using Ceto in my project, so it's not possible for me to sell it. CaptainMurphy seems to have Ceto, too and he's got a problem with it and moved on to Playway Water, you can PM him about it, or just check out playway water, another awesome ocean solution.

4. sashahush

sashahush

Does one have the online manual? Looks like it has been removed : (

5. jangomoose

jangomoose

Hmm, that's a bugger, didn't occur to me to d/load it.

6. Baspower

Baspower

7. sashahush

sashahush

Brilliant! Thank you Baspower!

8. BlueBudgie1

BlueBudgie1

I just took a look at my old stuff and saw here that CETO has been deprecated. Just want to wish you all the best in future. What you did with CETO was really impressive. It gave me a great jump start for my experimenting with oceans. All the best!

GMax and sashahush like this.
  9. LinuxPenguin

LinuxPenguin

Guys, does anyone know how much ceto originally costed?

10. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

$80

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Locking this thread. If anyone has things to say, you can continue in PM.

Please don't abuse the author. He gave plenty of fair warning for the depreciation. Assets are depreciated many times a month. Assets aren't by huge corporations but individuals.

When you purchase an asset, understand that it WILL be depreciated. The question is only when.

IronDuke and LaneFox like this.
  12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Hi, after some requests I'll reopen this thread but please keep replies strictly for Ceto support, so you can support each other.

John-G and ftejada like this.
  13. NeoKuro

NeoKuro

Hi,

Its not really a support question per-say. But rather a generic question.

I, like others, have found several sites offering the full source code of the Ceto asset(s) on youtube and other places, and I would simply LOVE to use it in my projects (which I also would like to monetise in the future). However as I am sure the author worked incredibly hard on this wonderful asset, I wouldn't want to pirate the assets.

Has the author stated whether it is free to use (under MIT license or something), or if not, is there a way I can send the author some money to purchase it? I understand its deprecated for Unity 5.6+ and would settle for purchasing it at a discounted rate if that is the case. But as I said I'd feel bad for using these assets without asking permission (or offering some compensation) :)

ftejada and Polemus like this.
  14. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

No, the author hasn't. It's not available for use if you didn't purchase it when it was available from the Asset Store and it's licensed under the Asset Store license which does not allow re-distribution of the source/assets. Those links are piracy at best, malware at worst. Pirated Unity assets are becoming a vector for injecting bad things into games, don't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

15. marn_ammar

marn_ammar

Hello!
    Ceto shader not working in last Unity 5.6.1f1 (Windows 10). Ocean surface looks transparent
    any idea how to fix it ??? (see screenshot)

16. Peter77

Peter77

17. jangomoose

jangomoose

It still works correctly in 5.6.1f1 and 2017 1.0b9. I remain very impressed with this asset.

akareactor likes this.
  18. marn_ammar

marn_ammar

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  19. sadicus

sadicus

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  20. scrawk

scrawk

Its the OceanUnderWater.cginc file. The link has been fixed.

A new link to the manual has been added to the first post of first page to fix the old broken one.

sashahush and John-G like this.
  21. Harekelas

Harekelas

So glad to see a new documentation is online and you are coming back to forum!

jangomoose likes this.
  22. sadicus

sadicus

jangomoose likes this.
  23. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi there, I'm using Ceto transparent ocean set(for the edge blending and weird reflection caused by unknown reasons with my opaque ocean set, I have to stick on the transparent set) and run into this problem.
    upload_2017-8-11_21-39-24.png

When there is no light source of a directional light, the ocean will have small black artifacts on some top edges of waves.
    And the ugly white aura is caused by Unity Post-processing Stack's bloom effect I guess.

upload_2017-8-11_21-44-3.png

And if I go underwater then look up, the back-face of water surface will render all the terrain or objects on land as pure black blocks and let the bloom effect cause this killer of eyes.

Seems it's related to the back-face rendering of water surface, anyone familiar to shaders can give me some suggestions?

Also, @scrawk if you have time and just happen to see this. It'll be great if you can give me some instructions here :)

Edit:I'm using deferred rendering and linear color space. The directional lights are provided through Tenkoku Dynamic skybox (Sun and Moon, and because this skybox calculates real celestial locations so there are nights without moon from time to time, hence no directional light).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  24. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Hey this happens when the sun light is set to 0, if you set it to 0.001 it works ok.

Amplify Bloom seems to work ok with sun set to 0, altho the water from underneath and the back of waves are black, but his happens with or without bloom enabled and sun set to 0.

Might have to re-code your sky to not set the sun/moon to 0 when changing from day to night, set it to really low value like 0.001 instead

Harekelas likes this.
  25. Harekelas

Harekelas

Really great to hear! I'll see what I can do with the scripts (diving into Tenkoku's codes, maybe I'll just ask its author instead ;))

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  26. veddycent

veddycent

Hi all,

Hopefully someone in the community can help me with this.

I'm using clip masks on my terrain but at certain angles the masks start flickering like crazy like the resolution drops. This effects the actual clipping of Ceto.

I have attached two images that show the change. All I have done is angled the view down slightly.

This can be replicated in the demo scene easily by increasing the Width and Height of the overlay in gameobject ClipOverlayExample then angled the view down and you'll see how it changes.

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

27. Harekelas

Harekelas

Can't really see the problem with static pictures but there is one issue with unity I know may caused this.
    The float calculation in unity has a limit, if your gameobject is too far from the original point (0,0,0)
    Just move your terrain close to the original point and see if this still occurs.

28. veddycent

veddycent

Thanks for the replay.

That's not the issue. It turns out that when Ceto extends the mesh to the horizon that it stretches the mesh thus reducing the detail and therefore not having enough pixel density. The odd thing is that it only happens at a certain camera pitch value (as shown in the images on my previous post)

29. kideternal

kideternal

I figured out how to fix the "two inch" gap between the underwater effect and surface! It only applies to the OpenVR implementation, which made it possible for someone with a headset to see everything under the ocean through the surface "glitch".

Just replace OceanVR.cs with the following:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.XR;
    4. namespace Ceto {
    6.     public static class OceanVR {
    8.         public static bool OpenVRInUse { get; private set; }
    10.         public static void Initialize() {
    11.             OpenVRInUse = XRSettings.loadedDeviceName == "OpenVR";
    12.         }
    14.         public static void GetSteamVRLeftEye(Camera cam, out Vector3 position, out Quaternion rotation, out Matrix4x4 projection) {
    15.             position = Camera.main.transform.parent.TransformPoint(InputTracking.GetLocalPosition(XRNode.LeftEye));
    16.             rotation = Camera.main.transform.parent.rotation * InputTracking.GetLocalRotation(XRNode.LeftEye);
    17.             projection = Camera.main.GetStereoProjectionMatrix(Camera.StereoscopicEye.Left);
    18.         }
    20.         public static void GetSteamVRRightEye(Camera cam, out Vector3 position, out Quaternion rotation, out Matrix4x4 projection) {
    21.             position = Camera.main.transform.parent.TransformPoint(InputTracking.GetLocalPosition(XRNode.RightEye));
    22.             rotation = Camera.main.transform.parent.rotation * InputTracking.GetLocalRotation(XRNode.RightEye);
    23.             projection = Camera.main.GetStereoProjectionMatrix(Camera.StereoscopicEye.Right);
    24.         }
    26.         public static Matrix4x4 GetSteamVRProjectionMatrixLeftEye(Camera cam) {
    27.             return Camera.main.GetStereoProjectionMatrix(Camera.StereoscopicEye.Left);
    28.         }
    30.         public static Matrix4x4 GetSteamVRProjectionMatrixRightEye(Camera cam) {
    31.             return Camera.main.GetStereoProjectionMatrix(Camera.StereoscopicEye.Right);
    32.         }
    33.     }
    34. }
    Note: This also removes the dependency on SteamVR's code/toolkit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  30. kideternal

kideternal

If, while using VR, tree billboards in your PlanarReflection are disappearing at the edges of your view, you can make them stop by increasing the "data.cam.aspect" to 1.5f or so.

In PlanarReflection.cs : CreateReflectionCameraFor:

I modified line ~410 to be:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (!UnityEngine.XR.XRSettings.enabled) {
    2.     data.cam.fieldOfView = cam.fieldOfView;
    3.     data.cam.aspect = cam.aspect;
    4. } else {
    5.     data.cam.aspect = 1.5f;
    6. }
    ... and removed this line further down:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. data.cam.aspect = cam.aspect;
    There might be a better way than hard-coding 1.5f, but it works.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    jangomoose likes this.
  31. iafondo

iafondo

Hello The ocean is really heavy is it possible to add LOD? And how thank you

32. kideternal

kideternal

That seems related to the issue I'm experiencing with ship wakes. To best see it, add a wave overlay and crank the alpha up to 20 (tweak code's max) to make the wake 100 feet high. There are massive frequency "bands" that vibrate/rise/fall when you rotate the camera even a tiny degree.

I spent a couple of hours in the code the other night and couldn't find a solution. It appears to be there in each of the overlays, but isn't as noticeable when heights are low.

The "bug" may lie in the WaveOverlay.shader in vertWaveOverlay:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. v2f vertWaveOverlay(appdata v)
    2. {
    3.     v2f OUT;
    4.     OUT.pos = mul(Ceto_ProjectorVP, v.vertex);
    5.     OUT.pos = mul(Ceto_T2S, OUT.pos);
    6.     OUT.uvtex = v.texcoord.xy;
    7.     OUT.uvmask = v.texcoord1.xy;
    8.     return OUT;
    9. }
    However, I'm not familiar enough with shader code, let alone "screen to worldspace" float4x4 matrices and their math to solve the problem anytime soon.

If the values between peaks weren't zeroed, I don't think the flicking would be so bad.

Just posting this here in case Scrawk or someone brilliant wants to chime in.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  33. veddycent

veddycent

@scrawk please come back :(
    All the other water assets are nothing in comparison to Ceto

34. twobob

twobob

Maybe just try shoving some clamps in.

35. John-G

John-G

Ceto is still the best water I've seen for Unity, bought PlayWay in order to upgrade to current Ultimate Water system and have to say instant regret.
    No way near the quality of Ceto, a bit more work and Ceto would be the ultimate large scale water system, all I wish for is a wake system and I'd be happy with it.

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  36. veddycent

veddycent

Totally agree! I thought I'd give UWS another chance today but I soon remembered why i dislike it. I mean talk about creating a complex setup that makes no sense what so ever. Trying to find a setting is a nightmare! Have you tried adding caustics...

Ceto wasn't far from being a complete package, its just a shame that Scrawk had to stop development :(

37. jangomoose

jangomoose

It is an exceptional water really. Have a few others but they are not a patch on it. I am battling with trying to get it to work properly in single pass VR now I'm forced to with Enviro being Single Pass only. If anyone has any tips on how to get in working with the Vive with the underwater shader on I would be truly grateful. I've changed the code as per Scrawks instructions but have failed miserably.

38. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

So true! ;)

39. John-G

John-G

Still have my fingers crossed that @scrawk may return to this and finish it off.
    I would gladly pay an upgrade if an updated version with currently missing features was released.
    Some simple shore waves (Not just foam) and a proper 3d wake system would make this the goto water system.

UWS for me was just a spiggatti mash up of.overly complex systems and code, that is a nightmare to get looking anywhere near the results that I wish for, not only that but I've reported almost a year ago that it does not.play nicely with Truesky (and I imagine many other packages that require transparent effects) as it overwrites it's layer so water appears above the clouds, no matter what layer order I change its shader to.
    Don't even start with is poor performance costs.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    veddycent, Karearea and Gabriel_SG like this.
  40. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Wakes were possible in Ceto, just not built in.

We used trailing particles that would build the wave deformation through normal maps and a changing intensity based on the particle strength. It worked decently well and we could even manage LOD based on distance.

twobob and John-G like this.
  41. Gabriel_SG

Gabriel_SG

Took a look at your game to check out the wakes @CaptainMurphy . Glad to see there are still other Ceto users around (haven't found anything better really). But the wakes implemented in your game (based on your dec build video) looked kind of odd, like it's sorta flickering on the surface? I noticed that Ceto had problems with the unity post processing v1 specifically bloom. But bloom works perfectly fine when I switched over to v2 (not available on asset store you need to download from their github). Maybe you can give that a try.

My outstanding issue with Ceto is the shore mask. I've tried using the auto shore mask but decided to get rid of it in the end. The foam effect looks unrealistic when viewed up close and when used in the shore mask. Still trying to figure out how to fix that...

42. Karearea

Karearea

I’ve looked at the SRPs and have good results with both, but honestly, it’s Ceto compatibility that has me deciding to continue with the built-in renderer for now..

43. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Unfortunately, we are switching to UWS because of some compatibility issues we have run into in the past year. We were able to get the wakes working much easier there, but are having issues getting the ocean to behave at the speed we need it to for the correct beaufort scale.

44. Gabriel_SG

Gabriel_SG

I've looked into UWS as well.. but it felt... like a downgrade? :(

45. scrawk

scrawk

This is not a bug more of a limitation of the projected grid used by Ceto. The overlays are rendered in this projected space which changes as the camera moves. Its at its lowest resolution when far from the object and at a low camera angle.

The only fix is to increase the overlay size on the ocean game object. Try changing size from half to full or double on the clip and foam overlay size. It may not be possible to completely remove.

twobob likes this.
  46. Unity-IBR

Unity-IBR

Hi all, hopefully someone in the community can help me with this, maybe @scrawk.

I know that Ceto was abandoned years ago
    I have a problem with reflections on the sea. The terrain has some strange color reflections that changes according to the time of day; at noon they are almost black. I set the post processing on the camera that generates the reflections to try to solve, but the problem improves slightly. Another mistake I encounter is when the sun should be behind the ground. An explanatory image attached. How can I solve this? The sun should be completely hidden from the tarrain at that point. Thank you all

Attached Files:

47. Harekelas

Harekelas

About the sun passes through, I don't think it's a Ceto issue. Are you using a cube map which has terrain images on it as the skybox?
    And what kind of method do you use for rendering of the sun? If you are using unity's default skybox, you'll need an actual terrain mesh to cover the sun or it will always be in front of the skybox image.

48. Unity-IBR

Unity-IBR

@Harekelas

Hi Harekelas,

we use Real world terrain to generate terrain and a directional light to the Sun.

49. Unity-IBR

Unity-IBR

U
    Updating

I understood that the problem is related to the bloom managed in post processing on the camera.
    This turns out to be a big problem because I do not have the possibility to render the bloom before the shadows of the terrain and therefore I can't solve.

Does anyone know if there is a way to be able to have a strong bloom on the sun and a low on the water?
    Is it possible to implement a mask on post processing bloom?

50. veddycent

veddycent

Has anyone updated to 2018.2?? The buoyancy script that comes with Ceto no longer works (try the demo scene), the boat is launched very far away.

Has anyone else had issue with physics in 2018?

Thanks