Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

Ceto (Scrawks Ocean)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by scrawk, May 4, 2015.

1. reocwolf

reocwolf

Hi, I read the manual and Ceto seems to be able to generate a shoreline on start up. But my map uses multiple terrains that stream at a certain distance. Is there a way I can get Ceto to auto generate shorelines based on multiple terrains each time they are generated or something similar?

2. IkaBika

IkaBika

First thing first this is amazing system ! Once I needed Ocean I got one instantly and it works fine.
    I have 1 small issue with Oculus (OpenVR is fine using SteamVR fix).

Possible well known and something to do with depth buffer and underwater rendering. Is there quick fix or settings for that ? Thanks in advance!

3. scrawk

scrawk

Only thing I can think of is to add Cetos AddAutoShoreline component to your terrain from a script when the terrain is streamed in.

Have a look on the under water component depth mode. It should be use ocean depth pass for steam vr.

4. IkaBika

IkaBika

SteamVR work just fine ! I solved issue placing those ones under different layer on Oculus build and restricting ocean on those.

scrawk likes this.
  5. AndreyO

AndreyO

Hello! It seems, Ceto shader not working in last Unity Beta 5.5.0b5 (Windows 10). Ocean surface looks transparent (see screenshot)

ceto.jpg

6. scrawk

scrawk

Thanks for letting me know. I will have a look at it but I don't normally fix issue with the beta until it's officially released.

7. jgilbert

jgilbert

@scrawk We have been happily using your water since you released it. Now, we would like to use HitBox's volumetric lighting, but it requires changes to all of the transparent shaders. I can make the required changes, however, it results in too many texture samplers being used. I believe it adds up to 5 more. I know it's a long shot, but do you have any suggestions on how we can reduce the number of samplers the OceanTopSide_Transparent uses? Maybe with assumptions that our settings won't change?

8. Wilbert-Blom

Wilbert-Blom

What does the message "Ceto (1.1.0) Warning: Can not query overlays clip texture if read/write is not enabled" mean and how do I fix it ?

9. esply

esply

Hi, i'm using Ceto Ocean, but i've got a problem: water isn't shown at my PC while playing in build mode. Other PC's i tryed works well, inlcuding PC with exactly same hardware. Also in play mode water at my PC works well too.
    I can reproduce this bug in play mode by disabling ProjectedGrid, it makes same effect above and under water.
    I'm using latest Nvidia and DirectX drivers, so i'm quite confused about what's going on.
    Sorry for my bad english, have you any ideas about my problem?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  10. Jeremy_35

Jeremy_35

Hi,

I am using the Ceto Ocean System since a few weeks for creating underwater worlds.

I am currently facing an issue concerning transparency. It concerns particle materials and the standard ones in transparent mode.

These materials do not write in the z buffer so the “fog” is not correctly applied to these objets in the underwater post effect. For instance, particles immediately disappear when there is no opaque object behind them.

Is there any way to solve this issue?

Thank you.

11. Kemonono

Kemonono

Hi,
    (asked as a non programmer)
    Is there a simple script, or a way to determine (or return a bool), if an object or position, is subsea or topside.
    I tried looking at the camera underwater post effect script, but I didn't understand where in the code it determined if it was underwater or not.

12. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Check the water height at that location and compare it.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. bool isUnderwater(Transform t) {
    2.    if (t.position.y < Ceto.Ocean.Instance.QueryWaves(t.position.x, t.position.z)){
    3.      return true;
    4.    } else {
    5.      return false;
    6.    }
    7. }

clickmatch and Kemonono like this.
  13. scrawk

scrawk

It's hard to say as you will need to give up on a feature to reduce the number of textures. The easiest is to lower the number of grids on the spectrum to 2. This should use 4 less for the frag shader.

You can also disable the spectrum foam in the shader to remove a few more or just the foam texturing. Maybe the caustic texture as well.
    If you don't use any of the overlays you can disable some of them as well.

The lines to disable theses features are already in the shader. You just need to uncomment them.

You need to go into the textures advanced settings and enable read/write.
    Your using a texture to cut a hole in the ocean but if this option is not ticked Ceto can't query from the CPU if there's a hole there. Allowing this can help with performance but it's not critical.

That's not really enough info to help. If the grid is not rendering there will be a error in the log file for the build. I will need that file and what Ceto and Unity version you have.

Replied to your email.

Captain Murphys answer is the way to do it.

14. Kemonono

Kemonono

Hi!

Thanks a lot for the help!
    Based on your input, I turned the code into a Playmaker action.

I placed it under the "GameObject" category, frankly because I have no clue to make a new category in playmaker.

Here is the action, if anyone else is using Ceto with Playmaker.
    Code (CSharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using Ceto;
    5. namespace HutongGames.PlayMaker.Actions
    6. {
    7.     [ActionCategory(ActionCategory.GameObject)]
    8.     [TooltipAttribute("Returns true if gameobject is beneath water")]
    9.     public class getCetoUnderwater : FsmStateAction
    10.     {
    11.         [RequiredField]
    12.         [Tooltip("Return true if GameObject is underwater. \nOr use Position.")]
    13.         public FsmOwnerDefault gameObject;
    15.         [Tooltip("Return true if underwater from position. \nOr use GameObject.")]
    16.         public FsmVector3 atPosition;
    18.         [Tooltip("Set bool value true if underwater.")]
    19.         [UIHint(UIHint.Variable)]
    20.         public FsmBool boolVariable;
    22.         [Tooltip("Event to send if the Bool variable is True.")]
    23.         public FsmEvent isTrue;
    25.         [Tooltip("Event to send if the Bool variable is False.")]
    26.         public FsmEvent isFalse;
    28.         [RequiredField]
    29.         public bool everyFrame;
    33.         public override void Reset()
    34.         {
    35.             gameObject = null;
    36.             atPosition = new FsmVector3{ UseVariable = true };
    37.             boolVariable = null;
    38.             isTrue = null;
    39.             isFalse = null;
    40.             everyFrame = false;
    41.         }
    43.         public override void OnEnter()
    44.         {
    45.             boolVariable.Value = isUnderwater();
    47.             Fsm.Event (boolVariable.Value ? isTrue : isFalse);
    49.             if (!everyFrame)
    50.             {
    51.                 Finish();
    52.             }
    53.         }
    55.         public override void OnUpdate()
    56.         {
    57.             boolVariable.Value = isUnderwater();
    59.             Fsm.Event (boolVariable.Value ? isTrue : isFalse);
    60.         }
    63.         public bool isUnderwater()
    64.         {
    65.             GameObject foo = gameObject.OwnerOption == OwnerDefaultOption.UseOwner ? Owner : gameObject.GameObject.Value;
    66.             var t = foo != null ? foo.transform.position : atPosition.Value;
    68.             if (t.y < Ceto.Ocean.Instance.QueryWaves (t.x, t.z))
    69.             {
    70.                 return true;
    71.             }
    72.             else
    73.             {
    74.                 return false;
    75.             }
    76.         }
    78.     }
    79. }

15. zmaxz

zmaxz

Hi!!
    How to fix this black line ? Thank!!
    BlackLine.jpg

16. clickmatch

clickmatch

Looks like your shore mask didn't make it to an adjacent terrain? Is that Map Magic?

17. scrawk

scrawk

If think that's from a limitation from using the opaque ocean prefab with shadows enabled on the terrain.

Try using the transparent prefab or disabling shadows. Thats the only options I have sorry.

18. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Hi i'm wondering how i can increase the view distance, when you go higher it gets worse, also with dof enabled at sea level i get black spots.. Thanx

my camera is set to 100,000

[/IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  19. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

Shame we can't contain this in a sort of volumetric/Physic's container so we can make lake as well as sea's and oceans.

This for me is the best easyest water I found and I haven't found one I like as much to use for lakes

buronix and Stormy102 like this.
  20. buronix

buronix

Hey!

Im using Ceto with a Tile Terrain World, the world is procedural so in the coast terrain tiles I create a waveOverlay to clip the ocean and add foam (foamtex and cliptex) so there is small waveoverlays adjacent each others, my problem is that the line between them are clearly visible and very nasty, how can I improve or solve this?

Example Video;

the chunks are 400 units size, in the video there is almos other 150 units of waveoverlay size where the line between the chunks is not visible, but when the clip and foam are close the terrain and visible its when the problem appears.

Thanks in Advance, and amazing work are you doing!!!

21. scrawk

scrawk

The ocean will alway go to the end of the camera far plane so as long as it's a decent value it should look ok.

The issue looks like it's from the sky box. Because of the way sky boxes work the horizon moves as the camera moves higher. I don't no what the fix is for that.

I don't think it's going to be possible for the overlays to tile together with out a visible edge sorry.

22. scrawk

scrawk

So I have some bad news. There's no easy way to do this so I will just be blunt.

Ceto is to be depreciated and will no longer be for sale.

It's complicated why exactly as it's a number of things but it boils down to the fact I don't enjoy being a publisher and it's not something I wish to continue with. It's something I have been thinking of for a while but there never seemed to be a good time.

Over all it's been a positive experience and I have learnt a lot. Everyone has been very positive and supportive so I am sorry if this upsets anyone.

Support will continue until the end of the year and after that I will be leaving the Unity forums. I have been part of the forums for about 3-4 years now and again it's been a positive experience but I feel it's time for me to move on to over things.

I get back from holidays late next week and once home Ceto will be depreciated.

23. IronDuke

IronDuke

Well... we'll miss you, for sure.:( Although there is a bright side. I was torn between eventually getting Ceto or Playway Water for my game, not sure which one to actually use. This announcement deals with that.:rolleyes:

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors! o7

--IronDuke

scrawk and ftejada like this.
  24. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Hey, thanx on build it works perfect, also the issue with dof has been fixed, it was another image effect...

Thanx

scrawk likes this.
  25. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

That's certainly sad to hear. We'll all miss your presence here, and the great support you've given. Of all the full ocean/wave systems I've tried, Ceto is no doubt the best, and I've never regretted the decision to purchase it. With deprecation though comes inevitable degradation, as changes to Unity eventually break things. Any chance of releasing the code base as an open source project, like the Community Ocean Project, once it's no longer available for sale? This is a great product, and I still believe in it. It would be sad to see it die from neglect, as so many others have.

I know disposition of IP rights can be a bit of a thorny subject, and every publisher has their own stance on this. I'll respect your decision either way, but am certainly hopeful that something can be done to keep this incredible asset alive.

IronDuke likes this.
  26. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Sad to see you leaving, though understandable as a asset publisher myself. Hope the best for your future endeavors.

scrawk likes this.
  27. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

I think that would be a great solution. I have 2 up-and-coming free projects that I would love to have a decent water solution for and making this open source would fill that need perfectly.

28. IkaBika

IkaBika

It blends amazing in our VR project and performance is good too!

29. Akshara

Akshara

While I respect your decision and wish you happiness... having just bought this in the recent madness sale, I am extremely disappointed that it is being abandoned so soon after being promoted in a Unity sponsored sale. Feels wrong.

Stormy102 likes this.
  30. Martin_H

Martin_H

I'm always on the fence whether I should try publishing assets myself or not. I'd love to hear some of your reasons for not enjoying it (in spite of your asset apparently selling reasonably well). If you don't want to talk about it that's ok, but if you'd be willing to send me a PM it might save me some regrets in the future.
    Either way, best of luck to you and I'm sad to see you go from the forums!

scrawk likes this.
  31. scrawk

scrawk

Sorry Akshara. Bad timing on my part. I did not submit it for the sale, unity picked it. At the time I was unsure what to do so I just left it thinking I might feel differently in a few months.

@FargleBargle @CaptainMurphy Open source is not a option sorry.

32. kideternal

kideternal

I'm really bummed to hear you're mothballing Ceto, but know how much of a headache it can be to support something. Especially when you'd rather be doing other things with your time. But since you've already done most of the "heavy lifting" on this package, you may want to just take a year's break from it and inform potential purchasers that "support is limited to non-existent, but all source-code is provided". It's a great thing you've built, and it'd be a pity to see it disappear when there aren't better solutions out there for people. Maybe just check the forum once a month or something? There's some good beer money to be had... ;)

Personally, I've got cool new VR things in the works, but have run into a couple of issues. Any chance you can at least point me in the right direction on how to fix them before you go?

1) Wave Overlay heights "wriggle" a lot in OpenVR when you move your head, even with "Tight Projection Fit" on. (Most of the ocean's wriggling is under control, but ship wakes and foam trails writhe like the dickens.)

2) UnderWaterPostEffect still needs to be updated for VR. (It has that disconnect between eye perspectives.) If you copied much of the code from another image effect, it might have been updated for VR already and just need some tweaking?

Thank you for the great ocean system you've given us! I hope your vacation was awesome and you'll soon be moving-on to greater things!

Stormy102 likes this.
  33. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Any possibility of having another asset developer taking over the project?

34. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_

You certainly provided excellent support to date, and I wish you well in your endeavors.

I must admit that this hurts those of us still in development that never released a product with the asset. As project development continues it may be necessary to keep pace with Unity updates, and with support ending, we'll only ever be one Unity update away from doom. I can't afford to be in that position at this stage of the project and potentially be forced to baseline on a Unity version for the remainder of the project. I'll therefore more than likely need to transition away from this now and invest in another asset (Ugh, this will be the second time with a water model). I realize I'm complaining about the asset breaking before it's happened, but I'm going to seriously assume that Unity will do something that breaks it eventually or causes it to become degraded feature by feature.

I was disappointed with feature development coming to a halt previously, but still felt satisfied given the continued support. There was a path for the asset to at least stay alive and give some of us a chance to complete a product with it and justify the cost we put into it. In the end, I'm out $80 for an asset I won't be able to use in a final product.

35. scrawk

scrawk

I had a look at both those issues when doing the VR support for 5.4 and I don't know how to fix them.

I am not opposed to the idea but it would have to a existing publisher who will look after it with support and further development. I'm not sure anyone would be interested in that and I don't know if it's even possible to transfer ownership of a asset.

36. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

It has been done before. The best example is opsive taking over UFPS from VisionPunk. Opsive makes behavior designer, third person controller and few other products. So Unity asset store has worked with those issues before.

Here is the official press release on that.

http://www.visionpunk.com/content/press/Opsive_and_VisionPunk_Join_Forces.pdf

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    sjm-tech likes this.
  37. Stormy102

Stormy102

Damn... :eek: We just don't have enough money at the moment to buy this, but there is no other in-depth enough ocean system. Any chance of a decrease in price before you depreciate it or do we have to spend all our money? :(

38. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Well perhaps users can support each other in this thread still with fixes. If you can dump a bunch of notes or resources attached to this thread, such as any extra documentation and so on, it'll be a help I guess.

jangomoose and FargleBargle like this.
  39. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

If it isn't going open source, or being sold to another publisher, that's the next best option. I for one plan to keep using Ceto until it breaks beyond repair. I'm sure several others here feel the same way, and have at least a little experience with digging into the code when needed. Any additional documentation would be appreciated though.

ron-bohn likes this.
  40. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Then there is me on the other end of the spectrum that has already replaced it in our projects...

41. buronix

buronix

Ofc maybe you can,
    But some of us (or just me) spent a lot of time implementing Ceto in their project, learning how to use it, implementing features over the asset, etc... and ofc, paying it.
    Maybe you can replace Ceto easily, not me.
    What happens if Ceto stop working in Unity 5.5 and support disappear (without alternatives), then I´m F***, really F***.

CaptainMurphy likes this.
  42. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Well, it isn't that we could, but that we had to. I did not want to spend another $100 on a water asset right now, but it just had to be done. We can't rely on a product that may or may not work in the latest Unity by the time our nearest project is getting ready to release.

43. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

I know what you mean. I think I know the other $100 water asset you speak of. Actually it would be nice if the other water asset developer could take over the CETO and merge its capabilities into their existing water product.

That is something similar to what opsive is doing in UFPS in merging the code base of UFPS and Third person Controller for UFPS2.

44. scrawk

scrawk

I'm going to try and see if any other publishers are interested via the publisher Google group.

EDIT - I have reconsider handing this to another publisher. This is no longer a option sorry.

Everything I know about it is already in the manual or on this thread.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  45. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

That sounds good.

46. Loishtc

Loishtc

Bought on 1 september, deprecrated in less than 2 months, so my money went to the toilet, nice.

47. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

I hope you find someone to take it over. It's the best looking ocean system available.

48. mrdl2010

mrdl2010

Best one is Play water system, $100 though.

Where can I get refund from this? I bought this last madness sale.

49. Kemonono

Kemonono

So far it has worked really good for me, so I'm probably going to continue using it regardless, and hope for the best with help from other users.

and with that being said..
    Is it possible to/how do I get (sample) collision with water surface using a rigid body?

50. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

Hey, what happened with Ceto? It doesn't work on 5.5 and it says that it is no longer available on the market.