Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ceto (Scrawks Ocean)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by scrawk, May 4, 2015.

1. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

We batch our calls without Async and do around 700-800 a frame with very little issues. In a heavy battle it can get to the thousands a frame without any problems that we can see.

2. scrawk

scrawk

That's a area of Ceto that could be improved a lot. I designed the query code from the start to support mutli-threading but once the overlays went in it fell out of favour as there was no way to support them. I think it would still be useful so I will fix it up for next update. The GC stuff would be easy to fix as well with a bit of a redesign.

I could also add a alternative async method that uses a coroutine task instead. It wont be multithreaded but it will be asyn so wont block the thread and it would support the overlays as well.

How long exactly is 20 taking btw? I would have though 20 would not take much time.

Good to know that it can handle such a large number without any issue.

Improving the async support would be little work so may as well.

3. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

That is a great idea.

Thanks @John G. for creating this Gaia extension.

4. clickmatch

clickmatch

Maybe it's been mentioned, but considering Ceto eats about 12 FPS in my current project.. what do you suggest in terms of occlusion culling/ determine if the player can even see the ocean? Is there a way to make it occlude by grid when it's under a terrain?

5. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

You can actually use a mask to occlude under the terrain, similar to what you use to generate shoreline foam. Look at the "Clip Mask" setting under the "Add Shore Mask" script.

clickmatch likes this.
  6. scrawk

scrawk

I would just set up something to disable the ocean if the player is in a area where you know the ocean is not visible.

I have used triggers do this before but turned out they where a pain to use. I just ended up writing a script that made a AABB and checked to set if the player was inside or not.

If your in a area where the ocean is visible but only from a distance you can set the projected grid resolution to low and disable the wave spectrum component and maybe set the reflections layer to nothing so it will just render the skybox.

It should be pretty cheap to render with those settings.

Also if you set up a clip mask on your terrain and if you look on the Underwater post effect script (if your using it) on the camera there is a 'control underwater mode' tick box. If you tick this it will disable some features not needed when the player is over the clip mask.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    John-G likes this.
  7. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Heya, any idea what may be causing this?

Attached Files:

8. BSz

BSz

@scrawk I know this is not the right place, but I didn't find a proper way to contact you since your profile does not allow PM, but I just wished to let you know (in case you don't already) that your awesome blog has been off-line for days. When accessing it, I get a message saying "Warning! Domain mapping upgrade for this domain not found. Please log in and go to the Domains Upgrades page of your blog to use this domain".

As I said, I know this isn't the right place so I have no problems at all with deleting this message from the thread after you read it. Just to make sure that you already know the blog is off-line so we don't have the risk of loosing the great info you had there.

Best!

9. scrawk

scrawk

No, have not seen that before. Is this on a Mac? It's there something that causes it or does it just happen straight away?

I have deleted my blog.

10. BSz

BSz

It means that all those wonderful tutorials - including the ones on Compute Shaders - will be all lost or will you be putting those somewhere else? Please, don't do that with the community, those are by far the best material out there (specially on advanced topics). If you are not interested in updating it anymore, that's pretty understandable, but consider putting a post saying that, disabling comments, but leaving the old resources as reference: I and many others often go back to your blog to use it as a reference all the time (just went there to check something on Apped/Consume buffers)

Psyco92, julienkay, landon912 and 5 others like this.
  11. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Heya, I am on OSX, and was able to identify the cause.
    My terrain itself was not centered on Y axis of Zero, so I had to raise the sea level of Ceto to like 60 to get it in the right place. When I lowered my terrain and set Ceto to like 0-5 it was fine.

Not a problem for me in my case, but it may be for others.

Cheers!

12. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

That's odd. I use Gaia terrains that have their bases set to 0,0,0, and typically set the sea level ~300m higher to allow some water depth. I place Ceto at 0,0,0, the same as the bottom center of the terrain, and set its "Level" to match the sea level used by the terrain. I've never seen anything like your example, even at those settings. Of course, I'm using Windows, if that makes a difference. :eek:

13. kideternal

kideternal

While using Steam's OpenVR and Vive in Unity 5.4 beta, if you look down at the ocean it causes the waves to: flicker, duplicate, jump-around, wiggle, and/or vanish depending on viewing angle. Switching to GPU-based WaveSpectrum alleviates the issue, but of course introduces latency that is bad for VR due to ReadBack for wave heights.

I found a workaround by moving WaveSpectrum.Update() to LateUpdate(). There's still a bit of "wriggling" at times, but that's present in GPU-based too, and is something I can live with (I suppose).

14. scrawk

scrawk

Thanks. That sounds like a bug specific to OSX. I will add it to the list. I have seen something similar in OSX caused by resizing the game window in the editor.

Thanks. I will add that one to the list as well.

15. hjjang

hjjang

Hi.

Question,
    Wave height varies according to wind speed.
    What the wave height of the wind?
    I want to know what changes are wave height.

ex>
    wind speed : 10 when wave height : 5m

Ocean is fantastic.

16. scrawk

scrawk

Theres no formula to work out what the wave height will be given a wind speed but Ceto does check the wave data generated and works out what the maximum possible wave height will be.

Heres a example script that prints out the wave min/max ranges.

This will only work if the fourier is ran on the CPU.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. using Ceto;
    6. public class WaveRange : MonoBehaviour
    7. {
    10.     void Update ()
    11.     {
    13.         //Set to true if you want the height added from the overlays incuded in the range
    14.         bool includeOverlays = false;
    16.         //This is the max possible wave height in the oceans local space ( ie presumes ocean level is 0).
    17.         //This is only the height that is possible in theory. In practice the wave height will only average around 70% of this value.
    18.         float maxWaveHeight = Ocean.Instance.FindMaxDisplacement(includeOverlays);
    20.         //The min max range in world space.
    21.         float minRange = Ocean.Instance.level - maxWaveHeight;
    22.         float maxRange = Ocean.Instance.level + maxWaveHeight;
    24.         Debug.Log(Time.frameCount + " Min wave range = " + minRange + " Max wave range = " + maxRange);
    27.     }
    28. }

hjjang and John-G like this.
  17. jdvar

jdvar

Hi,
    I guess I've missed a few updates of your ocean.
    There was an issue in previous version which I have where I have set up a buoyancy boat with buoyant structure. My character is standing on that boat and with maximum wind speed I get jittering effect in my camera.
    Was this fixed in last versions?
    I've looked through 1.1.1 update log and didn't see anything about this.
    Also I've tried lerping my camera after my character, lerping my character after the boat and even lerping transparent collider box with my character on it after the boat. And I still get the geometry to jitter. And even with a static camera I can see that the boat isn't moving smoothly on waves.
    I use the standard first person controller with smooth mouse look script (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/a-free-simple-smooth-mouselook.73117/).
    I have two camera's in my scene. One attached as a child to my first person controller, the other attached as a child to that camera. I get all rendering from the last one (the first being used only for hud elements). Can this set up cause such problems?
    All of my buoyant scripts have the same settings:
    -radius 2.5
    -density 100
    -stickyness 80
    -unit tens_of_tonnes
    -drag coef. 0.3
    May be I need to add more (or less) buoyancy objects? I have four now (front, left, right and back).
    Or may be I need to set up something differently?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  18. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

If you are using physical interaction for the objects it can cause jitter almost no matter what you do since a character controller has a special physics type that essentially overrides other physics. What we did for our system was make a kinematic version of the ship collider on another layer that follows around the physical version and only had the character controller interact with the kinematic layer and not the physical layer. This forces the character controller to move with the kinematic object without causing the bizarre physical interactions we were getting.

19. scrawk

scrawk

I still have not done the new buoyancy scripts so this issue has not been fixed yet sorry. I just have not had the time to get around to it. I am planning to have the new buoyancy scripts and this issue fixed in the next update.

20. buronix

buronix

I have a weird visual glitch in Ceto 1.1 _(Im on Unity 5.4b) with the horizon and the projected grid qualities:

With Resolution Low and Medium :
    ceto_projected_grid_medium_low.png

and high/ultra/extreme :

ceto_projected_grid_high_ultra.png

21. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Heya Scrawk,

I have an interesting issue for you.
    I have made a 3D/360 video capture solution for Unity called Helios which is in the approval process right now.
    However, I was testing it with some various packages out there and ran into this issue.
    img00005.jpg

My tool works by using a Call to Camera.RenderToCubeMap() to start the process.
    As you can see, Ceto renders sometimes, but like in this pic, the down camera render does not include Ceto

22. scrawk

scrawk

Hi. I think Unity 5.4 has broken a few things in Ceto. I should have them fixed up in the next update. That looks like a similar issue that @JohnRossitter reported near the top of the page. I think it might be related to the sea level setting. Try setting the level to 0 and see if it goes away. Are you on a OSX by any chance?

That looks like Cetos projected grid is not working for the bottom camera. I will and try and take a look at that sometime. I might have to get a copy of Helios from you. There are some things that the projected grid cant do. There is a small chance that this might not be fixable but not sure until I take a look.

JohnRossitter likes this.
  23. KarloE

KarloE

Hello,

I am not a huge expert on shaders, so I was just wondering if there is anything to be done with the underwater shader in regards to the particles.

This is what happens, left is without underwater post processing, right is with it:

Anyone knows how to fix it? Also I just acquired Particle Field from the asset store because I wanted to improve underwater looks, and particles simply dont show up underwater and Im not sure how to fix it. Im sure it has something to do with transparency and draw order, etc.

Probably I need to make particles draw in the depth buffer, not sure how.

24. _invalidusername

_invalidusername

You can use two cameras, one of which only renders the particles (using layers)

scrawk likes this.
  25. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Helios just went live, send me a PM and I will get you a copy to test with :)

scrawk likes this.
  26. John-G

John-G

Got Authoritative Server working with Ceto and PhotonBolt running pretty smooth. Though was loosing loads of packets when I tried recording it, guess PC struggled a bit running A server, two clients, and PC recording at the same time.

27. scrawk

scrawk

This a bit of a limitation of the underwater post effect. It will run after the particles and as they don't write to the depth buffer they don't show up correct. Making them write to depth buffer is not practical for transparent objects.

The best way to solve this is to use a second camera that only draws the particles and make it run after the main. Have it don't clear anything and the particles should show up like normal.

28. kideternal

kideternal

Scrawk's probably right on this, and my memory is fuzzy, but I recall that when drawing particles on top of Ceto when you're above water I had to modify the Shader's Queue to be above the ocean, which looks something like this:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. Shader "VROOM/ParticleOnTop" {
    2.     Properties{
    3.         _TintColor("Tint Color", Color) = (0.5,0.5,0.5,0.5)
    4.         _MainTex("Particle Texture", 2D) = "white" {}
    5.         _InvFade("Soft Particles Factor", Range(0.01,3.0)) = 1.0
    6.     }
    8.         Category{
    9.             Tags {"Queue" = "Transparent+501" "IgnoreProjector" = "True" "RenderType" = "Transparent"  }
    10.             Blend SrcAlpha One
    11.             AlphaTest Greater .01
    12.             ColorMask RGB
    13.             Cull Off Lighting Off ZWrite Off
    14.             ZTest Always
    15.             SubShader {
    16.                 Pass {
    18.                     CGPROGRAM
    19.                     #pragma vertex vert
    20.                     #pragma fragment frag
    21.                     #pragma multi_compile_particles
    22.                     #pragma multi_compile_fog
    24.                     #include "UnityCG.cginc"
    26.                     sampler2D _MainTex;
    27.                     fixed4 _TintColor;
    29.                     struct appdata_t {
    30.                         float4 vertex : POSITION;
    31.                         fixed4 color : COLOR;
    32.                         float2 texcoord : TEXCOORD0;
    33.                     };
    35.                     struct v2f {
    36.                         float4 vertex : SV_POSITION;
    37.                         fixed4 color : COLOR;
    38.                         float2 texcoord : TEXCOORD0;
    39.                         UNITY_FOG_COORDS(1)
    40.                         #ifdef SOFTPARTICLES_ON
    41.                         float4 projPos : TEXCOORD2;
    42.                         #endif
    43.                     };
    45.                     float4 _MainTex_ST;
    47.                     v2f vert(appdata_t v)
    48.                     {
    49.                         v2f o;
    50.                         o.vertex = mul(UNITY_MATRIX_MVP, v.vertex);
    51.                         #ifdef SOFTPARTICLES_ON
    52.                         o.projPos = ComputeScreenPos(o.vertex);
    53.                         COMPUTE_EYEDEPTH(o.projPos.z);
    54.                         #endif
    55.                         o.color = v.color;
    56.                         o.texcoord = TRANSFORM_TEX(v.texcoord,_MainTex);
    57.                         UNITY_TRANSFER_FOG(o,o.vertex);
    58.                         return o;
    59.                     }
    61.                     sampler2D_float _CameraDepthTexture;
    62.                     float _InvFade;
    64.                     fixed4 frag(v2f i) : SV_Target
    65.                     {
    66.                         #ifdef SOFTPARTICLES_ON
    67.                         float sceneZ = LinearEyeDepth(SAMPLE_DEPTH_TEXTURE_PROJ(_CameraDepthTexture, UNITY_PROJ_COORD(i.projPos)));
    68.                         float partZ = i.projPos.z;
    69.                         float fade = saturate(_InvFade * (sceneZ - partZ));
    70.                         i.color.a *= fade;
    71.                         #endif
    73.                         fixed4 col = 2.0f * i.color * _TintColor * tex2D(_MainTex, i.texcoord);
    74.                         UNITY_APPLY_FOG_COLOR(i.fogCoord, col, fixed4(0,0,0,0)); // fog towards black due to our blend mode
    75.                         return col;
    76.                     }
    77.                     ENDCG
    78.                 }
    79.             }
    80.         }
    81. }
    The important part being the "Queue" = "Transparent+501". Just thought I'd mention this in case it helps underwater.

29. kideternal

kideternal

@scrawk , I noticed that with OpenVR, now that WaveSpectrum is using LateUpdate(), if I set Underwater to USE_DEPTH_BUFFER, the right-eye will look fine, but the left eye's projection is off by the angle difference caused by the distance between your eyes, which causes it to move downward further than it should as you rotate your head counter-clockwise, if that makes sense, and upward if clockwise. Thus, I believe at least the following line of code in Underwater.RenderOceanDepth(GameObject go) needs changing to work with OpenVR, but I've got zero understanding of projection matrices and am clueless how to proceed. (Hopefully you or someone else can step-in and help here?)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Matrix4x4 ivp = cam.projectionMatrix * cam.worldToCameraMatrix;
    There is some code for doing mirrors on OpenVR at the following URL which seems like it's a step in the right direction, but I'm not savvy enough in this area to make it work with Ceto:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/358720/discussions/1/485622866441888602/

Snippet:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             if (RenderAsMirror) {
    2.                 eyeOffset = SteamVR.instance.eyes [0].pos;
    3.                 transform.localPosition = VrEye.transform.localPosition + VrEye.transform.TransformVector (eyeOffset);
    4.                 cameraForPortal.projectionMatrix = HMDMatrix4x4ToMatrix4x4 (SteamVR.instance.hmd.GetProjectionMatrix (Valve.VR.EVREye.Eye_Left, VrEye.nearClipPlane, VrEye.farClipPlane, Valve.VR.EGraphicsAPIConvention.API_DirectX)) * Matrix4x4.Scale (mirrorMatrixScale);
    5.             } else {
    6.                 eyeOffset = SteamVR.instance.eyes [0].pos;
    7.                 transform.localPosition = VrEye.transform.localPosition + VrEye.transform.TransformVector (eyeOffset);
    8.                 cameraForPortal.projectionMatrix = HMDMatrix4x4ToMatrix4x4 (SteamVR.instance.hmd.GetProjectionMatrix (Valve.VR.EVREye.Eye_Left, VrEye.nearClipPlane, VrEye.farClipPlane, Valve.VR.EGraphicsAPIConvention.API_DirectX));
    9.             }

30. shuao23

shuao23

Is it possible to calculate the maximum height in world space the ocean might be able to reach?

31. stevenc33

stevenc33

Does Ceto's transparent ocean work with TrueSky's Volumetric Clouds? I'm not sure if the transparent draw order issues have been resolved.

32. John-G

John-G

Replied in the Truesky thread, but answer is yes.

Belive that was answered above, with code example also showing the method.

33. scrawk

scrawk

The spectrum code is not connected to the projection code in anyway so Im not sure how changing the late update caused a issue with this.

I would say its got something to do with the projection matrix. It would need to be set for each eye. I will look into this soon but until then I dont really know what else to say.

Yes, see the question by Hjjang up a bit further. The code I posted will print out the range of the waves.

34. stevenc33

stevenc33

The Ocean Depth Texture is not rendered correctly when using the Opaque Queue with Terrain that is shaded with RTP 3.3d when using Tessellation

I'm trying to figure out what to modify in order to correct it. The manual states that the RenderType needs to be added to the OceanDepth.shader (if it using Vertex Displacement, I’m assuming this includes anything with Tessellation or Bump Mapping)

The OceanDepth.shader is using the "RenderType" = "Opaque", OceanDepth.shader already has a definition for "RenderType" = "Opaque". I'm wondering if I can feed in a different depth texture generated from rendering the terrain with the RTP shaders.

The reason why I'm using the Ceto Opaque Queue is that when I use the Transparent Queue then uSkyPro Atmospheric effects are not applied to the water. If I hack it and make so the image effect runs after the Transparent Queue, then all sorts of other problems appear. (Such as star appearing in the terrain). And Turning off Tessellation in RTP is a nonstarter as it disables some features like holes in terrain.

Has anyone solved this problem? (I am using the latest version of Ceto and the newest version of RTP (3.3d from the website, as it has not been released to the asset store yet.)

Thank you,
    -Steven

35. scrawk

scrawk

Hi Steve,

Yes RTP's tessellation shader would have to be added to Ceto's ocean depth replacement shader.

Otherwise the terrain will probably be rendered using the default opaque replacement shader (I think) which would not include the tessellation.

I have RTP so I can have a look and send you the new replacement shader with RTP's tessellation pass added to it.

It could be a easy fix or I might need to contact the RTP publisher for a bit of help so not sure how long it will take but I will keep you informed. Im pretty sure he must have had similar questions about replacement shader before as they are quite common.

John-G likes this.
  36. stevenc33

stevenc33

Since you already have RTP, I can provide you with a stripped down scene with the latest version of RTP 3.3d (downloaded from support site) and Ceto 1.1.1 already configured with RTP if that would help. How should I deliver it?

Thanks a million.

37. roborb

roborb

That's really too bad. You had a great amount of info there! Any particular reason?

38. stevenc33

stevenc33

scrawk,

I sent you an email at the support email address, with a link to a zip file containing a very basic Unity project, that demonstrates the problem with RTP (Tessellation) and Ceto (Opaque). Project was created with Unity 5.3.5f1.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    scrawk likes this.
  39. stevenc33

stevenc33

I have to agree, that blog was one of the deciding factors for me in purchasing Ceto!.

roborb likes this.
  40. imtehQ

imtehQ

I keep forgetting this, how do you detect objects hitting the waves or not?

Edit: Found it on the manual "5. Sub-Systems" :)

41. Selmar

Selmar

Do you plan any support for dynamic / interactive water like Wave Particles ( http://www.cemyuksel.com/research/waveparticles/ )? I believe it's used in some games (e.g. Uncharted 3) on top of the procedural simulation.

Or else, how difficult do you think it is to add that to the system, given enough knowledge about water simulation techniques and shaders?

42. scrawk

scrawk

Im aware of the method and Im going to take a look at it but it would be complicated so I dont know if it will end up being practical.

I think the particles could be rendered with Cetos overlay system so it would just be a matter of writing the wave particle code. The overlay code would have to be optimized a lot more to include batched rendering and a spatial hash for collisions which is planned.

43. imDanOush

imDanOush

Hello, Would you please give me a script or a prefab that makes this awesome asset possible to recreate these effects:

Thanks in advance.

44. scrawk

scrawk

Hi,

Its a complicated effect so I cant just quickly make a script to do it. Improvements to the foam trail script are being looked into with the goal of making the effect look more like that image.

45. imtehQ

imtehQ

This is a more realistic buoyancy system im working on, its is using mass and volume with a material type to calculate its density.
    With a nice window to set it up :p

scrawk, rgrlee71, John-G and 3 others like this.
  46. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

That looks like it is using that voxel type archimedes buoyancy. If it is, I would recommend changing the 'slices per axis' to a Vector3 so you can slice it differently along each axis for items that are a certain size. On my last iteration of that system I used an equidistance spaced setup so you put in a 'voxes spaced at X distance' and it would determine the slicing based on the bounds itself so that each object behaved very similar.

rgrlee71 likes this.
  47. imtehQ

imtehQ

Yes it is, however i don't fully understand how it works :p

Even tough the system not aways set the point on the correct places i did many tests with it and all meens te be working well.

48. imDanOush

imDanOush

Okay, but would give me a clue to make it at least a little bit like that? I'd be glad.

49. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Great work imtehQ! Are you planning to release it?

Marko

50. imtehQ

imtehQ

yes, but im still fine tuning it a bt ;)

Added a bit more info and options

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    John-G and Bartolomeus755 like this.