Search Unity

Certain characters and groups of characters get replaced with "$$Anonymous$$"

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by SlimiSlime, Aug 29, 2020.

1. SlimiSlime

SlimiSlime

If I type the word tea or K in the forum it will replace it with $$anonymous$$

I think it only works with replies.

ryanlin138 and ZozulZozula like this.
  2. SlimiSlime

SlimiSlime

tea K or not

3. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

It's retroactive, as well, and in Unity Answers. I've noticed that years-old comments of mine in UA have rare garbage $$anonymous$$ in them, and I know they were fine when I wrote them. Do UA and Forums even use the same system?

ryanlin138 and GliderGuy like this.
  4. Baste

Baste

tea K or not?

Keto?

OP has these two posts, how do they know how thread replies they write show up?

5. SamFernGamer4k

SamFernGamer4k

I see that too. It's really weird. "Instead" becomes "ins$$anonymous$$d".

6. dlackey_AEgisTG

dlackey_AEgisTG

7. Romaleks360

Romaleks360

Can also confirm this, very weird.

8. Giantbean

Giantbean

Is there a fix for this or somewhere to post it as an official bug needing a fix?

9. ZozulZozula

ZozulZozula

I've stumbled upon posts from ~2014 with "$$anonymous$$" instead of "m".

10. Kiffolisk

Kiffolisk

Apparently the letter "m" is replaced with $$anonymous$$ on old replies.

11. Michael-Ryan

Michael-Ryan

12. s4shrish

s4shrish

This is a recent issue. Very annoying, I am looking at a comment I made myself in a reply to a problem I was having, and back then I was very thankful. Now, the same comment is very difficult to read.

But editing my comment shows all the text is the same as original. Weird.

13. triangle4studios

triangle4studios

Yeah this is starting to drive me nuts too. I wonder if its the hacker group anonymous. Because why else would random posts be screwed up.

14. BenKnightBOX

BenKnightBOX

Glad to know it's not just me seeing this very annoying behavior. Can someone responsible for the Unity Forum chime in here?

Giantbean likes this.
  15. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager Unity Technologies

Absolutely :) yeah, it's something on our radar for a while now and something I have asked our Webteam interally to look at and update me on.

wanrclhnyd, Stexe and Arlorean like this.
  16. lucariolu3d

lucariolu3d

any news?

17. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

With Unity Answers, where this issue also occurs, the problem was that it was run by a 3rd party. For any change or problem the Unity3D person had to request something from them which they may or may not understand and may or mat not do. And it was a lengthy process either way.

18. akihabarai965

akihabarai965

19. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

But that seems like a simple database problem. They grab all the headings and metadata from one table, then try to grab to contents, which is stored elsewhere, and fail. It's also just a Unity Answers problem. The weird thing about $$anonymous$$ is it affects Forums and UA, which makes no sense (different providers, last I heard) and seems like a buggy feature, not just a glitch.

20. Veetha

Veetha

Still no progression? It is more then half of a year and I still stumble over this annoying issue a lot. That is quite embarrassing.

Zelgadis87 likes this.
  21. Michael-Ryan

Michael-Ryan

I reported this issue on January 9, 2021.

The response I received from a Unity Technologies customer service engineer stated that it's a known issue, but not something they can fix at this time. It also stated that they're in the process of migrating the Answers site over to their new system, and that there was no implementation timeframe, but that the issue would be resolved.

22. Deeje

Deeje

Found this after googling the term "$$anonymous$$". Really annoying having to figure out what people are saying in posts since they are all filled with this text. I've been doing a lot of searching today and have run across this issue on most pages I've read, both new and old.

Some kind of confirmation from Unity would be nice. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed.

23. murphyne

murphyne

Hi everyone!
    I made a userscript that gets rid of $$anonymous$$ tokens.
    Basically it replaces any found $$anonymous$$ token with the most obvious original word.
    Here is a link to the repo with some instructions on installation.
    https://github.com/murphyne/unity-answers-anonymous

wanrclhnyd and DriesVrBase like this.
  24. HummeL_YT

HummeL_YT

Bump. Had this problem for around a half-year, but only now decided to ask google. So, I'm here, and what I should do?.. Hello, a random guy below!

25. alex2008wxyz

alex2008wxyz

$$anonymous$$ is a bug.
    "M", "tea" and sometimes "K" can get mistakely replaced with "$$anonymous$$".
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Mathf.Min();
    That sample line of code can become "$$anonymous$$athf.$$anonymous$$in();" some day.
    I think that Unity is trying to fix the bug.

26. Bunny83

Bunny83

I've only seen this on UA. We have a meta question over there as well (also check the comments). Note that it seems that the actual content is not changed. At least on UA, when I edit the post the original text shows up. Just hitting save again fixed the issue. So it somehow looks like some sort of corrupted cache?!? Though since this happend years back and is still happening I would guess it's either a scriptkiddy that somehow got access to the database, or it's some sort of misconfigured script that performs some automatic actions on the database.

unityunity