Search Unity

CEO John Riccitiello does not expect Unity's main customers to be game developers in the future

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hippocoder, Sep 14, 2018.

1. zenGarden

zenGarden

"And it's unclear how long it will take before the company see significant revenue from outside the gaming industry. But he insists it will happen eventually."

Reading "eventually" does not mean soon, this also doesn't mean Unity will abandon games.

Kiwasi likes this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Nobody's implying they will abandon games. Only that Unity's bread and butter will become other industries.

Kiwasi and dogzerx2 like this.
  3. zenGarden

zenGarden

So nothing should change about people using Unity for games.

4. BlackPete

BlackPete

lol, no.

Software engineering for film has a whole set of different challenges that games don't have to deal with. That's not to say it's harder or easier, they're just different.

For example, here's Steven Speilberg using VR to direct Ready Player One.

Another example is Simulcam (the video is rather lengthy but it's pretty complicated topic). Real time combining rendered frames with live feed is not trivial.

Then there's color grading. There's the whole VFX domain. Animators are just as busy on film as they are on games. Pre and post production have their own pipeline challenges. Collaborative production. Etc., etc., etc.

5. neoshaman

neoshaman

I think the huge push from nested prefab, timeline, textmesh and pro builder were from this strategy, now it make sense why they haven't acquired script inspector. It ease those new wealthy industry clients with out of the box tools ... visualization and movie is mostly about placing stuff toward the camera, not as complex as making unified multiplayer network terrain LOD management across all game genre, and subgenre. Take a breath.

First programmer would duck on their own program pipeline and scoff at it, and beginner complain it's too complicated text sh!t with syntax error baiting.

6. zenGarden

zenGarden

Movies not involving filming are more esay to make, like full 3D movies.

7. Murgilod

Murgilod

This is, again, untrue.

Martin_H, BlackPete and neoshaman like this.
  8. neoshaman

neoshaman

It's way more complicated than that, in fact I'm working on unifying the workflow of 3d animation and movie into a format inspired with workflow from TV and puppetry. You have trade off. Movie have logistic nightmare, 3d movie are "easier" on the logistic, but you must do everything by hand and render is a nightmare, you want something fluffy? good luck?

BlackPete likes this.
  9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah, it's actually shocking how much a "real" blockbuster is mostly just rendered graphics with a few actors. They also have hundreds of cameras so each scene can be adjusted for angle in post etc.. amazing how far things have come.

Practically every movie is a rendered movie these days.

10. Teila

Teila

The projects we are working on are AR. Really interesting!

11. BrewNCode

BrewNCode

The bottom line of our lives with Unity, Apps for the dough and games for the show.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

So I've got these Unity tees and even a Unity raincoat. I think maybe I should worry when I'm being driven to the airport in a Unity car and grabbing a Tofu burger from Unity Cafe...

13. neoshaman

neoshaman

hippocoder and Antypodish like this.
  14. Antypodish

Antypodish

Not only Unity Cafee, but well done, with matched tofu request, even if dosen't looks much like burger ^^

hippocoder likes this.
  15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Am I the only one worried that the community might one day be accurate with their weird predictions? :p

onysandwich.jpg

16. BrewNCode

BrewNCode

Isn't Unity already a Sandwich? you know, all the good stuff cramped between 2 loaves of bread?

17. No, Unity is an onion, like the ogre, have many layers... (and tags)

Antypodish likes this.
  18. Antypodish

Antypodish

Lol Shrek reference, I mean donkey (.. like a cake) ;)

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'd have expected onions to be associated with CryEngine...

BrewNCode and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  20. Only if you are chopping it up incorrectly. Otherwise you will have only an Engine.

Barry, Barry, that's too close, you're almost a Unity Sandwich!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2018
  21. Antypodish

Antypodish

Sorry, delete if too much offtopic. Just had to :p

22. neoshaman

neoshaman

Cryengine is definitely an onion because it will make you cry

Player7, frosted and Antypodish like this.
  23. recursive

recursive

All I know is when I worked more as a contractor, most of the clients I had were not game developers, they were marketing companies or developing interactive mobile apps.

The best client I had for years was a firm that made AR software for oil and gas-related companies. Every year there was something to do for OTC (offshore technology conference), so that was basically a reliable paycheck time. I was even able to split projects / sub-contract with another trusted developer friend if the scope was too much for me to handle (he often did custom rendering/shaders and I would build the main app infrastructure and mobile-specific features, we got a neat X-Ray shader out of one project) and they were fine with it as long as things got done on time.

The only time we had a major problem with them was when the oil and gas bubble popped in 2015, causing a cascade budget slash and several cancelled projects. Once they bounced back I continued to work with them on the side while working a short-term day job for a slot machine game company, up until I moved to Seattle for VR software (not game dev, but related) work.

I still keep my pro license for small contracts and my own game projects but I don't think I'd ever go back to doing heavy contract work for another game studio unless it's someone I know well or as a consulting gig. There's just a lot more money to fund games outside of games, unless you've already made a lot of money in games :D.

I honestly expect both Unreal and Unity to both start aggressively court TV production and Animation houses, Industrial Training, Archviz, Sim, product development and marketing, etc more aggressively in the coming years (not that they haven't already). The Unite conferences starting to have dedicated summits for things like Film/Animation, Automotive, etc is a big indicator. HDRP is primed to give rise to specialized TVRP, ArchVizRP, and FilmRP pipelines derived from it.

All I know of CryEngine is people who have used it advising me not to.

neoshaman likes this.