Search Unity

Cell Phones?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tkotch, May 22, 2006.

1. tkotch

tkotch

The other day I was "assulted" by a cell phone salesman while walking through my local mall. He saw me with a ancient cell phone and talked me into upgrading. Well, I was part of a Verizon plan "New Every 2" and upgraded to this phone that has more features than I'll ever hope to use. =)

It's an LG vx9800 and I noticed that it has 3D games to download. I instantly wondered if a Unity made game could run on one of these things. Has anyone ever tried this or looked into this before?

Just curious.

-Tom

2. jeremyace

jeremyace

I am no expert by any means, but you wouldn't use any engine made for computers to run a game on a cell phone. You are dealing with really limited resources (storage, memory, cpu speed and power, graphics capabilities, etc). To properly leverage that you would need to write an engine for it.

-Jeremy

3. thylaxene

thylaxene

most cell (mobile) phone games are either java and java3d based or flash these days. I think from memory and the last time I looked into it, that Sun (or the Phone maker) supplies the java 2d3d mobile development environments free of charge. So it would be very hard to compete with that.

Personally I'd rather Unity concentrate on being the best 3d dev environment for the Mac platform, and when that is done :) then move over to Xbox Live/Wii 'Live'/PS3 'Live' which ever has the best deal for us independent developers.

just my 2c worth.

4. greenland

greenland

I have a motorola V3 RAZR.
    If I had a ball rolling down a ramp into a stack of boxes done in unity and I bluetoothed it into my phone, then somehow got it to execute, I am entirely confident that my phone would have screamed in agony, caught fire, and promptly exploded. Hundreds would die.

Is that what you want?

I didn't think so.