Search Unity

Question CCD+Addressables Size Limit in WebGL on Chromium Browsers

Discussion in 'Web' started by Jmangles, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Jmangles

Jmangles

I'm having an issue where on any Chromium based browser like Edge/Chrome/Vivaldi, when our player attempts to download a 200MB asset bundle from CCD it fails completely and crashes out of the player. It does not happen immediately either, it will download for a bit before failing.

This is not an issue in Firefox. I'm wondering if this is a memory provisioning limit for these browsers, if there's a setting I can change, or if it's a bug.

I can reduce lightmap resolution and things of that nature if there's a hard memory limit.

Edit: It appears all Chrome based browsers will hit 255MB downloaded before crashing out, could just be a coincidence but having the max size the player can download be exactly the max value of a byte seems like it's a hard limit. I don't know if breaking up the content into separate bundles would fix the issue in this case since 255MB is already across multiple bundles and the player itself.

Everyone I've gotten to test this out on Chrome crashes out at 255MB but it works fine on their Firefox.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  2. Jmangles

Jmangles

Did some further testing and found that 255MB was a pure coincidence, after reducing the total size of player + bundles to 170MB it still failed to load on Chromium-based browsers. Firefox is still fine.

Edit:
    Some testers found that smaller asset bundles would fail to load on their machines. The largest (110MB) asset bundle would fail to load on everyone's machine but smaller ones (60MB) would fail to load on some people's machines.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  3. Jmangles

Jmangles

Just to follow up on this in case someone encounters the same issue, I was able to get the asset bundles to load on Chrome/Edge by disabling Use Asset Bundle Cache on my Addressable Asset Group assets.
    upload_2021-9-16_9-6-24.png

Extra Testing
    After learning the issue was this cache setting I decided to test the game in a fresh Windows 10 install. I downloaded Chrome on it for the first time and ran the version of the game that still had Use Asset Bundle Cache enabled.
    Even with a fresh install (and thus no existing cached data), the bundle that would not run in Edge/Chrome on anyone's computer still failed to load. It loaded up fine in a fresh Firefox install.

4. Jmangles

Jmangles

Another odd thing I've noticed is that the version of the game with non-cached asset bundles uses significantly more memory in WebGL for some reason.

Asset Bundle Cache Disabled:
    upload_2021-9-16_10-48-3.png

Asset Bundle Cache Enabled:
    upload_2021-9-16_10-48-55.png

5. pillakirsten

pillakirsten

Unity Technologies

Hi @Jmangles what Unity and Addresables version is your team using? Also to confirm the player is running on desktop browsers, not mobile?

6. Jmangles

Jmangles

Currently on Addressables 1.16.19 with Unity 2020.3.2f1, we are only trying to support desktop browsers.

7. Jmangles

Jmangles

Tested this further by upgrading to 2020.3.18f1 and Addressables 1.18.15, issue is still present if Use Asset Bundle Cache is enabled on all Chromium browsers. Firefox still works fine.

pillakirsten likes this.
  8. pillakirsten

pillakirsten

Unity Technologies

Is it possible to reproduce the issue in a smaller project (maybe a new project that just loads one decently-sized AssetBundle)? It would be nice to have a minimal repro that we can use to investigate the issue.

9. Jmangles

Jmangles

I'll try to reproduce this issue in a new project, if I fail I'll at least write out what steps I tried.

pillakirsten likes this.
  10. Jmangles

Jmangles

Okay so I played around with a blank project, had it load the remote catalog and download the offending asset bundle from our main project.

What I've found is that on Chrome/Edge, when pointed to the catalog and asset bundles built with Use Asset Bundle Cache enabled, memory allocations go bananas. On the cache-enabled bundle tests, I was seeing 1.7GB of memory used by Chrome with only the game as its one tab before it settled at ~700MB. This 1.7GB spike was not enough to cause the sad face/crash.

My next test with cache-disabled bundles showed the memory allocation in Chrome/Edge never exceeded 700MB.

I believe now the issue is that on the main project we simply run out of memory in Chrome/Edge when Use Asset Bundle Cache is enabled. Checking this out on the main player I see with cache-disabled bundles memory usage is about 1GB while with the cache-enabled bundles we hit 2.5GB before the sad face shows up and all the memory is freed.

Firefox shows no difference in memory allocation whether the setting is enabled or disabled.

Edit: Sent in the example project as it very clearly has a large memory spike when it loads the asset bundle from our main project that was built with Use Asset Bundle Cache.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  11. pillakirsten

pillakirsten

Unity Technologies

Thank you! We will investigate the issue :)

12. Oreka

Oreka

Any updates on this?

13. Jmangles

Jmangles

There's a ticket in for it and I got an email recently that they were working on it but needed an extra asset bundle from me to test. Been deploying the game without the asset bundle cache in the meantime which hurts a bit more in terms of our CCD bandwidth but what can you do.

14. gboni83

gboni83

Any updates on this? We are considering using CCD for our new game and most of our players will be playing on WebGL.

15. noamiko313

noamiko313

16. Jmangles

Jmangles

Currently it's a ticket here.

17. llunity3d

llunity3d

Unity Technologies

Hi, we will investigate further to see what is the status of that ticket

Thanks!

18. PhilG-Unity

PhilG-Unity

Unity Technologies

This thread has been moved to the Platforms > WebGL forum at the request of the CCD Team after discussion with the WebGL team.

The WebGL platform development team will continue to investigate this issue.