Search Unity

Catching Control key being pressed while using EventSystem OnDrag()

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by TroyDavis, Mar 20, 2016.

1. TroyDavis

TroyDavis

Hey all I've searched the web and I just can't figure out how I can catch when the user holds down the control key and starts dragging an object that's in my inventory.

I can catch the OnDrag just fine but the event system doesn't seem to recognize Input.OnKeyDown(Keycode.LeftControl)) at the same time.

here is what I have
    Code (csharp):
    1. public void OnDrag(PointerEventData eventData)
    2.     {
    3.         if (eventData.button == PointerEventData.InputButton.Left && UniqueID != "") //Starts a Drag & Drop action if allowed to
    4.         {
    5.             //if (EventSystem.current. == KeyCode.LeftControl || e.keyCode == KeyCode.RightControl)
    6.             //{
    7.             //    Debug.Log("Dragging one off the stack!");
    8.             //    return;
    9.             //}
    11.             //Debug.Log("Dragging");
    12.             InventorySlotsManager.Instance.IsDragging = true;
    14.             // Copy Items in Socket to dragging container
    15.             InventorySlotsManager.Instance.DraggedItemImageContainer.GetComponent<DraggedItemScript>().DraggedItemUniqueID = UniqueID;
    16.             InventorySlotsManager.Instance.DraggedItemImageContainer.GetComponent<DraggedItemScript>().DraggedItemQuantity = itemQuantityContainer.text;
    17.             InventorySlotsManager.Instance.DraggedItemImageContainer.GetComponent<Image>().sprite = iconImageContainer.sprite;
    19.             // clear the slot fields
    20.             UniqueID = "";
    21.             iconImageContainer.sprite = EmptyItem;
    22.             itemQuantityContainer.text = "";
    24.             // Make the Dragged Container visible
    25.             InventorySlotsManager.Instance.DraggedItemImageContainer.SetActive(true);
    27.             // make the Tooltip Visible
    28.             InventorySlotsManager.Instance.Tooltip.SetActive(false);
    29.         }
    30.     }
    This works great to drag everything int he selected inventory slot but I need to tell when the control Key is held down while they drag so that I can separate stacked items and drag one item from the stack out of the slot.

Any help is appreciated.

2. TroyDavis

TroyDavis

After reviewing the system it will will not act the way I want it too. Don't know why I thought it was working but apparently it still won't recognize when the key is hit.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  3. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

check for the key up and down events in Update and use it to set a boolean that you use i the ondrag event

4. TroyDavis

TroyDavis

I tried that it didn't work, I setup a public boolean that chacked for the control keys being prressed in my Inventory Manager script's Update function. When pressed it sets a boolean IsControl = true, if not it sets it to false.

Since this script is a singleton class I can call any public functions and variables from it using InventoryManagerScript.Instance.IsControl

but when I am in the OnDrag event it seems to show this as false even when I know it should be true.

5. TroyDavis

TroyDavis

Found my issue, I used GetKeyDown should have just Used GetKey