Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Catch and fail type system

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by ManAmazin, Jan 4, 2015.

1. ManAmazin

ManAmazin

hey guys first post in game design hope this qualifies,

im trying to find the best way to go about a catch and fail system, for example catching a ball vs not catching it .
    I was thinking of colliders in combination with timers (once the projectile enters the collider, the timer starts and if its under a certain number when the play presses a button then its considered a catch, works the same with opposite) but im not sure if this is the best way

am i on the right track or does someone who has done it before care to share info on their design and how they went about it?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

If you're asking "how do I implement Foo?" it's not a game design question, it's an implementation question. The Scripting forum is usually the best place for those.

The game design questions would be along the lines of "if I do Foo in my game, how will players manage to Bar?" or "will doing Foo make my game more or less enjoyable?" or "how can make it more obvious to players that they can Foo?"

It sounds to me like you've already settled on your game design, and you're just having implementation issues. And as for that, I'd just check whether the ball is within the "catch" collider (which should have physics turned off) when the catch key is pressed. If you're not sure how to do that, please ask about it in the Scripting forum. :)

3. ManAmazin

ManAmazin

ah i see , i know how to do it was asking if it was the correct way of doing so, but thanks il keep that in mind with this side of the forums

JoeStrout likes this.