Search Unity

Catan board game

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by jeroensdesign, Oct 13, 2018.

1. jeroensdesign

jeroensdesign

Hi, I am new with unity and I would like to ask if it is possible to create a multiplayer game with unity.
    Everytime I want a different map by playing like 5 people.
    I want to create a game like catan.

I think I also need to make a database?

Did anyone know with #C codes I need to use that everything a different map shows?
    How I can give players cards and other think for use

Kind regarads Jeroen

2. Hi Jeroen,

Welcome to Unity.
    It is possible to do such thing.

But you shouldn't do that at this point. Please, don't get me wrong, but if you need to ask these questions, you are not ready to work on a multiplayer game.
    Even the simplest multiplayer game is a beast to work on at the moment and requires extensive knowledge on architecture, networking and game development in general.

Try to start with smaller stuff, single player stuff. Maybe you can create this game just for one player, just for some of the aspects of this game.

Then when you're comfortable enough with Unity and the ways Unity provides help for your development, you can create a small multiplayer, just for two people, something simple, like a dice game.
    And when you mastered that, take another step and add some other mechanism.

And you will know when you're ready for a complex multiplayer with multiple stages and a swarm of game mechanics.

3. Martin_H

Martin_H

Just make your own boardgame, not much point in making something "like a boardgame" digital first imho. It's much easier to iterate on a paper prototype and if you make it to market with the board game, you can always do the online version later. With a tried and tested gamedesign, it'll save you countless hours wasted on implementing designs that don't work. And you can't just copy Catan, but I assume you know that.

Murgilod and Socrates like this.
  4. jeroensdesign

jeroensdesign

Thanks guys !
    i know i want to start big, but even with adventure creator it still nog all work with me ...
    i follow a lot of tutorials but always something is missing or not work well

does anyone knows you can input fb characters from mixamo to unity using adventure creator?
    I have so many plans but nothing work