Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Catalogue Updates not detected

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by alan_unity288, Mar 4, 2022.

1. alan_unity288

alan_unity288

Unity Version: 2020.3.26f1
    Addressables Package Version: 1.18.19

I'm having an issue deploying content updates via addressables to our game. We have sections of content that are delivered over the air; when a player first encounters them, they are prompted to download the appropriate assets, but we would also like to provide updates and bug fixes as appropriate (not an unfamiliar use case of addressables).

After creating a new build of addressables for an APK, I then apply content changes using Build -> Update a Previous Build and upload the catalogue, hash and new bundles to the same Remote Load Path specified in our default profile.

However, the client is unable to detect when any of these updates are deployed. I've tried:

- Allowing addressables to check for remote catalogue updates itself (by leaving unchecked Disable Catalogue Update on Startup) and then calling GetDownloadSizeAsync. However, this latter call always returned 0, aka no new downloads.

- Manually checking for remote catalogue updates by calling CheckForCatalogUpdates. However, this never returned any catalogues to update and calling UpdateCatalogs afterwards threw an exception due to no content updates.

- Performing the above, but manually initializing addressables beforehand myself.

I've tried to read the docs and other forum posts as much as possible, but am really at a loss as to how to perform this flow. My understanding was that by updating an existing build, any existing apks would have access to the new content. I also believe the required client-side flow should be, but would love to be wrong:

1) Check for remote catalogue updates (can be done automatically by Addressables)
    2) Call CheckDownloadSizeAsync for appropriate content (mine is grouped via label)
    3) DownloadDependenciesAsync for appropriate content if above is non-zero

I've enabled the Addressables logging, but it doesn't really help me debug the issue. Any pointers here on what I should be looking at would also be great.

2. Kurogami_Ryujin

Kurogami_Ryujin

When you say delivered over the air, do you mean over the cloud? Like a cloud storage? Have you checked if your cloud storage caches the content catalog you upload there?

I also encountered an issue where the client can't seem to get the updates, so I tried disabling the caching for the content catalog, which is what directs which content build bundle has to be downloaded by the client. What happens was Google caches the old catalog, which was what the clients ended up getting.

I'm not sure what storage you use, if you are using one at all, but this might be worth looking into.

3. alan_unity288

alan_unity288

Yeaaaah, that was it. Google Cloud Storage had an hour long caching set on my assets, which explained the lack of updates. I tweaked that and everything worked.

Cheers @Kurogami_Ryujin!