Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Casting shadows on tilemaps

Discussion in '2D' started by fikiy, Jul 29, 2018.

1. fikiy

fikiy

Hello guys! Im making a game with a 3d scenario and 2d characters and im using tilemaps to make thing like a road. So Im trying to make the tilemaps to cast shadows like a normal material but I cant get it to work. The whole tilemap dissapear if I use a defalut material and If I use a sprite material it gets black. Any ideas or I shouldn´t use tilemaps for this?? Thx

2. zipper9998

zipper9998

Try just using a plane with a tiled texture instead, but it depends if your tilemap has lots of different tiles or not because a tiled plane just gives the same texture over and over. Alternatively, u could make the tilemap as a texture in photoshop and put that on a plane. I don't think tilemaps can receive shadows unless you write a custom material (they need the sprite material). This is because they are almost always used in 2D. Hope this helps :)

3. fikiy

fikiy

Thx! I found that in the Debug mode there is an option to enable the shadows on tilemaps. Was that simple!

zipper9998 likes this.
  4. h765643729

h765643729

Could you please tell me where this option is and how to make it in detail? thank you