Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Castaways - The Chicken Offensive

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by galent, Jun 4, 2008.

1. galent

galent

This is an early peek at our first title, a casual game. Now that the Air Force has returned our graphics artist, I hope this one will get finished in short order.

The story line:
    Some time ago a large container ship went down, sadly only two crew survived. Them and their cargo... a whole ship load of chickens. Stranded on a deserted island chain, all was well, the chicken and bananas were good eatin'. Then, one night, the strain of constant clucking and close quarters came to a head during a late night debate over the nature of poultry and the universe. The two castaways parted to different islands. Tensions escalated, first name calling, then banana throwing, finally... at the end of their rope, unable to reconcile, they cried havoc and let slip the poultry of War!

it's all very sad... :twisted:

http://web.mac.com/galentucker/Site/ChickenDemo.html

You need the latest Unity plugin

Standard movement:
    WSAD or arrow keys for movement
    alt rotates the camera back behind your catapult

Comments? Story line and/or demo.

Thanks in advance,

Galen
    Convolution Inc. - Convoluting your lives to make our's easier.

2. Jessy

Jessy

Alt, on Windows, gives focus to the menu bar! The music and catapult are cool, though!

3. podperson

podperson

Just for starters -- the center of rotation of the catapult is wrong, so it seems to pivot on its rear.

4. galent

galent

Yeah, currently the catapult is moving using a third person script, rather than a vehicle script. I'm holding off on proper vehicle movement til I actually have our catapult (this one is a place holder - which is also why it's not textured).

Thanks,

Galen

5. galent

galent

Strange, I've been looking at it in windows/firefox this morning, perhaps it's an IE thing... Let me check... Nope, works for me. What version of the Unity plugin are you using?

Oh, and thanks, I'm glad you like the music, it's one of a couple of tracks that will be selectable once the game is more complete. I made that one using garage band, but our sound guy has been busy "experimenting" with chickens in unconventional ways... I didn't ask... :wink:

Thanks,

Galen

6. Jessy

Jessy

I've got the latest version of the plugin, but that's not important. Alt, in every program on Windows, gives focus to the menu bar. Maybe you have turned that behavior off, somehow, but it is the default.

Of course, that behavior can be overridden, and Alt is used as a navigation control helper in all the 3D programs I know of, but considering the webplayer runs in a browser, you should probably run into problems if not in fullscreen mode.

7. galent

galent

Ok, so I was using my browsers at full screen, when I went to windowed I got both behaviors (the camera repositioned and the menu dropdown appeared). My goal is to alter the camera positioning script to auto reposition within a short timeframe (and to rotate when contact is made with terrain rather than just looking through things).

Thanks for your feedback!

Galen

8. galent

galent

ok,

I've done some fixing, new catapult model (textures are close, but in progress), new "theme" music, new firing portion of HUD, wheel driven system, [space] arming/fire control + animation, other little bug fixes.

Coming real soon: full HUD + health system, new huts (including repair hut), new island(s) (this one is way too small, new ones are done but not included), chickens (of course :wink: ), new catapult "engine" (chicken powered), and sounds.

Next phase: PvP networked (peer to peer with authoritative discovery and/or authoritative multicast) and chat.

NOTE: This demo is using Unity 2.1, I strongly recommend the latest plugin.

Arrows or WSAD for control, space to arm/fire catapult, turn radius is too limited in my opinion, speed needs adjusting, and given the small size of the islands I've "hardened" the water to allow some cruising.

http://web.mac.com/galentucker/Site/ChickenDemo.html

Any comments welcome (it's been 20 yrs since I attempted game dev, I'd love some thoughts on direction).

Thanks,

Galen

9. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

No offense, but I liked the old catapult model better. It looked much more operable.

10. Alec

Alec

two things, your model (the end of the catapult, the bowl) the normals seem reversed or sumthing.

the other being that my catapult can ride on water

11. Kripto

Kripto

I like the concept a lot but had nothing but issues from the word go.

My catapult began charging forward without any clear way of being stopped. It also appeared that the end of the catapult was being clipped off by the camera.
    So I spent the whole time running around on the ocean.

I do look forward to your next versions though as that I enjoy games with deeply absurd premises. :D

12. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

13. galent

galent

Sorry I haven't looked in the networking forum in a couple of days. I used the standard Unity script and markup (generated by Unity - you need to use the "Web Widgets --> HTML Snippet) to get the app to run. I'm not attempting streamed, but... it should work the same way. Then I imbedded the unity game as a hidden link on the iWeb page (a file link that convinced iWeb to upload the file to the server), clicked publish and away it went.

A better method, I just discovered, is to create the page using iWeb, publish your page, then login to mobile Me, go to the iDisk, navigate to your deployed page and upload the unity file directly to the same directory. My way was sloppy but worked. This way is better.

Thanks,

Galen

14. galent

galent

@Dragon Rider:
    yeah the old catapult was a more "realistic" catapult. I had to scrap it and start over, I got the object from one of the commerical object sites and it wasn't a clean object. I tried in vain to make that one work, then had a friend who does graphics for a living take a crack at it, but to no avail. I am planning on having earned upgrades, and I'll likely use that design for the next step up.

@Alec:
    bingo, on both accounts. I flipped the normal on the catapult arm bucket during one of my more reckless editing days. I'm working on fixing that. You can drive on the water right now,because the island in the demo is way too small. I have several islands built, and some textured, but ... I'm sticking with the small one until other issues are resolved. The catapult is too fast and requires too wide a turn radius to give any feel on the current islands.

@Kripto:
    There are several reasons for your issues, I've outlined the problem with the catapult clipping (normal flip above). The charging forward... well... the weight/torque ratio is off (heh, when I started getting the wheel colliders to actually drive the catapult forward I had weight set to 1 Kilo, and torque at 400 meter/Kilos, dang thing launched end over end off into the horizon :D .. I'm working on that).

I'm glad you like the concept... I'm working feverishly through my list of todos.

Thanks all for your feedback!

Galen

15. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

@ galent : how do i achieve the first technique? I don't have Mobile Me. PM me if you can.

Nice game!

16. Jon

Jon

I found it kind of fun. 8) If you go past the water and onto the sand below, then drive up the mountain, then you shoot really high into the air. I don't know if this is a bug with the script, but it sure is fun.

17. galent

galent

PMed you the technique, let me know if you received it. I have reason to believe it didn't send properly.

Thanks,

Galen