Search Unity

Resolved (CASE IN-7885) [0.51] Linux server build runtime not working properly

Discussion in 'NetCode for ECS' started by optimise, Jun 17, 2022.

1. optimise

optimise

Build with Unity 2021.3.4f1. Get the following error when launching:

"memorysetup-cache-allocator-block-size=4194304" "memorysetup-typetree-allocator-block-size=2097152" "memorysetup-profiler-bucket-allocator-granularity=16" "memorysetup-profiler-bucket-allocator-bucket-count=8" "memorysetup-profiler-bucket-allocator-block-size=4194304" "memorysetup-profiler-bucket-allocator-block-count=1" "memorysetup-profiler-allocator-block-size=16777216" "memorysetup-profiler-editor-allocator-block-size=1048576" "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-main=4194304" "memorysetup-job-temp-allocator-block-size=2097152" "memorysetup-job-temp-allocator-block-size-background=1048576" "memorysetup-job-temp-allocator-reduction-small-platforms=262144" "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-background-worker=32768" "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-job-worker=262144" "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-preload-manager=262144" "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-nav-mesh-worker=65536" "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-audio-worker=65536" "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-cloud-worker=32768" "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-gfx=262144" error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set in the environment.

2. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

thanks for reporting. Not sure is netcode specific though. Worth posting this also in the dots forum for visibility.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  3. optimise

optimise

When I start the dedicated server runtime, it just eat up CPU and memory to max and then crash.

4. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

Again, not sure is because of the NetCode package that this is happening. Can be almost everything.
    Only on Linux or also other platform?

5. optimise

optimise

Still testing. But looks like most probably linux platform at Unity 2021.3.4f1 not able to get a working build. Both Window, Mac, Linux and Dedicated Server for linux build are not working.

upload_2022-6-17_15-2-20.png

6. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

ok, wait a minute: why are you building using the Unity compilation pipeline and not using the scriptable build pipeline (and so build config) ?
    We are not supporting building the dedicated server target in dots (and NetCode more specifically) in 0.51. You should still use the ScriptableBuildPipeline for building the server.
    I'm missing something?

7. optimise

optimise

Ya. I'm still using dots build configuration to build linux server. At Unity 2021.3.4f1 it's now completely not working anymore (Refer to #1 post). Now I'm using Unity 2021.3.4f1 to build client and Unity 2020.3.35 to build linux server.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  8. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

ok, but why are you targeting the DedicatedServer platform? (as I saw in the other post). I may be just mistaken

9. optimise

optimise

Just trying but realize that switch back to PC, Mac & Linux Standalone to build Linux server still get the same result.

10. optimise

optimise

I want to clarify that linux server build with dots 0.51 release at Unity 2021.3.4f1 for dots netcode project not working properly but Unity 2020.3.35f1 is working nicely.

11. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

Interesting, thanks for the quite important detail.

12. Occuros

Occuros

I also experience continuously increasing memory usage (and CPU) usage on a netcode linux server. Memory increase happens at around 0.2% per second of 1 GB of ram. Even when no clients are connected to the server, CPU and Ram Usage increases steadily.

We are using physics prediction, but otherwise, not many systems are currently running, no entities are created or destroyed per frame (except when the players spawn).

We were building with Unity 2020.3.33f (tried both entities 0.50 and 0.51)

13. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

0.2% increase is quite a lot (we are speaking about 2 MB/s ..)
    If memory increases and your are not allocating anything at all, then we have potentially a leak.
    Question being; is only the linux server that does that or also a osx/win one?
    Also: are you able, by disabling systems etc etc, to reach a point where the memory and cpu are stable?
    That may at least bisect the problem a little bit.
    If even an empty server (that just accept connection and does nothing) increase cpu and memory, than the is absolutely a leak or in entities or netcode.

14. Occuros

Occuros

I created the following tests:

Use the getting started tutorial (cube moving with wasd) and created a Linux build running inside a docker.

Unity version: 2020.3.36f1
    Netcode version: 0.51

No memory leaks can be observed even when run for longer times.

Also tried to add the predicted physics systems into the mix, and still no memory leaks, so most likely there is no memory leak from the dotsnet package or entities package directly, but something from the systems created by us (or it happened during an upgrade process form 0.50 to 0.51).

Will investigate further.

15. optimise

optimise

Unity version: 2021.3.4f1
    Netcode version: 0.51

@CMarastoni Tried official netcube project to build linux server runtime and test. It just crash when I run the runtime. Still get similar error log like post #1. From Player log file, it stopped at Unable to load player prefs.

[UnityMemory] Configuration Parameters - Can be set up in boot.config
    "memorysetup-bucket-allocator-granularity=16"
    "memorysetup-bucket-allocator-bucket-count=8"
    "memorysetup-bucket-allocator-block-size=4194304"
    "memorysetup-bucket-allocator-block-count=1"
    "memorysetup-main-allocator-block-size=16777216"
    "memorysetup-thread-allocator-block-size=16777216"
    "memorysetup-gfx-main-allocator-block-size=16777216"
    "memorysetup-gfx-thread-allocator-block-size=16777216"
    "memorysetup-cache-allocator-block-size=4194304"
    "memorysetup-typetree-allocator-block-size=2097152"
    "memorysetup-profiler-bucket-allocator-granularity=16"
    "memorysetup-profiler-bucket-allocator-bucket-count=8"
    "memorysetup-profiler-bucket-allocator-block-size=4194304"
    "memorysetup-profiler-bucket-allocator-block-count=1"
    "memorysetup-profiler-allocator-block-size=16777216"
    "memorysetup-profiler-editor-allocator-block-size=1048576"
    "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-main=4194304"
    "memorysetup-job-temp-allocator-block-size=2097152"
    "memorysetup-job-temp-allocator-block-size-background=1048576"
    "memorysetup-job-temp-allocator-reduction-small-platforms=262144"
    "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-background-worker=32768"
    "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-job-worker=262144"
    "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-preload-manager=262144"
    "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-nav-mesh-worker=65536"
    "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-audio-worker=65536"
    "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-cloud-worker=32768"
    "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-gfx=262144"

I also get the player log from .config folder:

Mono linux runtime build
    Mono path[0] = '/home/ec2-user/sample/sample_Data/Managed'
    Mono config path = '/home/ec2-user/sample/sample_Data/MonoBleedingEdge/etc'
    Preloaded 'lib_burst_generated.so'
    PlayerPrefs - Creating folder: /home/ec2-user/.config/unity3d/sample
    Unable to load player prefs
    Desktop is 0 x 0 @ 0 Hz

Il2cpp linux runtime build
    PlayerPrefs - Creating folder: /home/ec2-user/.config/unity3d/sample
    Desktop is 0 x 0 @ 0 Hz

================================================================
    For successfully running linux server runtime at Unity 2020.3.35, u will see something like the following:

Initialize engine version: 2020.3.35f1 (18e4db7a9996)
    [Subsystems] Discovering subsystems at path /home/ec2-user/sample/sample_Data/Un itySubsystems
    Forcing GfxDevice: Null
    GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=0
    NullGfxDevice:
    Version: NULL 1.0 [1.0]
    Renderer: Null Device
    Vendor: Unity Technologies
    ERROR: Shader Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/Blit shader is not supported on t his GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/CopyDepth shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/ScreenSpaceShadows shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/Sampling shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/LutBuilderLdr shader is not suppo rted on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/LutBuilderHdr shader is not suppo rted on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/UberPost shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/StencilDeferred' - All subshaders removed
    WARNING: Shader Did you use #pragma only_renderers and omit this platform?
    WARNING: Shader If subshaders removal was intentional, you may have forgotten tu rning Fallback off?
    ERROR: Shader Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/StencilDeferred shader is not sup ported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/StencilDeferred' - All subshaders removed
    WARNING: Shader If subshaders removal was intentional, you may have forgotten tu rning Fallback off?
    ERROR: Shader Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/Stop NaN shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/SubpixelMorphologicalAntialiasing shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/GaussianDepthOfField shader is no t supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/BokehDepthOfField shader is not s upported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/CameraMotionBlur shader is not su pported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/PaniniProjection shader is not su pported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/Bloom shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/FinalPost shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Sprites/Default shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subsh aders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Sprites/Mask shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshade rs/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Graphy/Graph Mobile shader is not supported on this GPU (none of s ubshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader GUI/Text Shader shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subsh aders/fallbacks are suitable)
    ERROR: Shader Graphy/Graph Standard shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    UnloadTime: 0.382368 ms
    ERROR: Shader UI/Default shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders /fallbacks are suitable)
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Universal Render Pipeline/Lit' - All subshaders re moved
    ERROR: Shader Universal Render Pipeline/Lit shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Universal Render Pipeline/Lit' - All subshaders re moved
    Streamed scene with 155ms latency from /home/ec2-user/sample/sample_Data/Streami ngAssets/EntityScenes/b3b4427e1963245ed97bcf69eaca92da.0.entities
    ^CSetting up 1 worker threads for Enlighten.
    Thread -> id: 7f8600b78700 -> priority: 1
    Unloading the last loaded scene Assets/Samples/Scenes/NetCube.unity(build index: 0), is not supported. Please use SceneManager.LoadScene()/EditorSceneManager.OpenScene() to switch to another scene.
    UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager:UnloadSceneAsync(Scene)
    Unity.Scenes.GameObjectSceneRefCount:ReleaseScene(GameObjectSceneRefCount*)
    Unity.Entities.ManagedComponentStore:Dispose()
    Unity.Entities.EntityDataAccess:Dispose()
    Unity.Entities.EntityManager:DestroyInstance()
    Unity.Entities.WorldUnmanaged:Dispose()
    Unity.Entities.World:Dispose()
    Unity.Entities.World:DisposeAllWorlds()
    Unity.Entities.DefaultWorldInitialization:DomainUnloadOrPlayModeChangeShutdown()

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  16. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

Umm so... the 2020.3.36f1 looks like it work..
    2021.3.4f1 has this annoying issue.
    It would be better in term of assistance if you can report the bug via editor so we can track it and having QA tracking down and bisect a little bit in between which version things start occurring.

17. optimise

optimise

Reported bug. CASE IN-7885

CMarastoni likes this.
  18. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

So, I investigated a little bit.
    The problem is just one in the end: even though we are building with the "Headless" option the player is still trying to create a graphics device.
    You can't run the server app from command line that use graphics acceleration like this.

There are two way to fix this problem and I will present here both.

FIRST WAY: RUN USING XVFB
    You need to install on your server xfvb and either:
    1. Add a `Xvfb :0 -screen 0 640x480x24 +extension GLX (or similar) your .zshrc, .bashrc or in your init.d or whatever and then execute the app with the command DISPLAY=:0 PathToMyApp/MyApp
    2. Or, way simpler, use xvfb-run -a PathToMyApp/MyApp
    All this may not work if you don't have the right driver installed. The linux player support both Vulkan and OpenGL. But for GL to work, the minimum requirement is that there is OpenGL core profile 4+ available on the machine.
    That may be not the case, i.e: you don't have the latest lib mesa installed (or any other GL driver).
    By installing a newest driver that support the required OpenGL core (i.e: by using the one from the ppa oibaf-graphics_drivers repo). the app should work without problems.

In case you wanna opt in for Vulknan, there is problem: the reported device when you run from the terminal is of type 4 (I think it is CPU or no graphics, don't remember know), that looks like it is not correctly supported or is just ignored. End result, no usable devices are found and the app trigger an exception.

For sake of reference, I tried doing the following on my started from scratch VM (IIRC was ubuntu 20.0.4 but its can work also for Debian and centos in a similar way):

sudo apt install xvfb
    sudo apt install mesa-utils
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:eek:ibaf/graphics-drivers
    sudo update
    sudo upgrade

If you now reboot and then run the following commands:
    xvfb-run -a glxinfo you should get something like:

Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 14.48.25.png
    and the server should run properly.

SECOND WAY (SUGGESTED)
    Another way to fix the issue is to add the -nographics -batchmode to command line when you run your app, i.e:
    Code (csharp):
    2. Path/To/MyApp -nographics -batchmode
    The server application is initialised with a null device. The sharer will fail to compile etc etc but the game run. I tried my self with the Asteroid samples, on both Linux and OSX.

A little issue that I found: if you add the -nographics but not the -batchmode the linux app crash. The osx app instead report that -batchmode is required. An inconsistent behaviour.
    Also I would say -batchmode should not even be required, but this is how it work.
    Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 14.59.39.png

All that being said, the problem is the build. It should not do that, and it should work like the Unity 2020.X version.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Samsle and optimise like this.
  19. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

To reiterate, in that specific case it is not a leak or an out of memory. At least for mono build, that is the first I tried to build.
    I suppose IL2CPP is having the same issue.

20. optimise

optimise

I created the empty project and just build Linux server runtime then run it. It's still failed to run properly. I expect it should work just like Unity 2020.X out of the box without needing to do any special configuration. Which Unity 2021.X version will fix this issue to make the Linux runtime works exactly like Unity 2020.X?

21. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

I don't know yet.
    For the short term, the easiest thing to do right now is to pass the -nographics -batchmode command line arguments.

Then, for the long term plans, given the fact we have deprecated the headless mode, the DedicatedServer platform is probably what you should use when targeting servers. In which case, making that platform part for the build configuration and NetCode compatible is what we need to do.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    optimise likes this.
  22. optimise

optimise

Alright. Just let u know the DedicatedServer platform is also not working properly for the Linux server runtime when run it. Looks like graphics device is also not stripped from DedicatedServer platform yet or there's other new issue I dunno.

23. optimise

optimise

Btw want to check this with u again. Will dots netcode 0.51 get DedicatedServer platform support at Unity 2021 in future or I need wait until dots netcode 1.0 at Unity 2022?

24. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

For dots 1.0 release the plan is to support that platform. For 0.51 and subsequent updates I'm not sure yet.

Samsle, Anthiese and optimise like this.
  25. sumalab10

sumalab10

Building an empty scene with Unity 2021.3.10 adding "-nographics -batchmode" I get this crash:

./test.x86_64 -nographics -batchmode
    [UnityMemory] Configuration Parameters - Can be set up in boot.config
    "memorysetup-bucket-allocator-granularity=16"
    "memorysetup-bucket-allocator-bucket-count=8"
    "memorysetup-bucket-allocator-block-size=4194304"
    "memorysetup-bucket-allocator-block-count=1"
    "memorysetup-main-allocator-block-size=16777216"
    "memorysetup-thread-allocator-block-size=16777216"
    "memorysetup-gfx-main-allocator-block-size=16777216"
    "memorysetup-gfx-thread-allocator-block-size=16777216"
    "memorysetup-cache-allocator-block-size=4194304"
    "memorysetup-typetree-allocator-block-size=2097152"
    "memorysetup-profiler-bucket-allocator-granularity=16"
    "memorysetup-profiler-bucket-allocator-bucket-count=8"
    "memorysetup-profiler-bucket-allocator-block-size=4194304"
    "memorysetup-profiler-bucket-allocator-block-count=1"
    "memorysetup-profiler-allocator-block-size=16777216"
    "memorysetup-profiler-editor-allocator-block-size=1048576"
    "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-main=4194304"
    "memorysetup-job-temp-allocator-block-size=2097152"
    "memorysetup-job-temp-allocator-block-size-background=1048576"
    "memorysetup-job-temp-allocator-reduction-small-platforms=262144"
    "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-background-worker=32768"
    "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-job-worker=262144"
    "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-preload-manager=262144"
    "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-nav-mesh-worker=65536"
    "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-audio-worker=65536"
    "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-cloud-worker=32768"
    "memorysetup-temp-allocator-size-gfx=262144"
    Mono path[0] = '/home/debian/unitytest/test_Data/Managed'
    Mono config path = '/home/debian/unitytest/test_Data/MonoBleedingEdge/etc'
    Initialize engine version: 2021.3.10f1 (1c7d0df0160b)
    [Subsystems] Discovering subsystems at path /home/debian/unitytest/test_Data/UnitySubsystems
    Forcing GfxDevice: Null
    GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=0; jobified=0
    NullGfxDevice:
    Version: NULL 1.0 [1.0]
    Renderer: Null Device
    Vendor: Unity Technologies
    Unknown error occurred while loading '/home/debian/unitytest/test_Data/Resources/unity default resources'.
    The resource Internal-ErrorShader.shader could not be loaded from the resource file!
    Unknown error occurred while loading '/home/debian/unitytest/test_Data/Resources/unity default resources'.
    The resource Internal-ErrorShader.shader could not be loaded from the resource file!
    Caught fatal signal - signo:11 code:1 errno:0 addr:0x38
    Obtained 11 stack frames.
    #0 0x007f16ea9c70e0 in funlockfile
    #1 0x007f16ec526a00 in std::vector<std::pair<int, unsigned int>, std::allocator<std::pair<int, unsigned int> > >::eek:perator=(std::vector<std::pair<int, unsigned int>, std::allocator<std::pair<int, unsigned int> > > const&)
    #2 0x007f16ebcc74a4 in std::_Rb_tree<int, int, std::_Identity<int>, std::less<int>, std::allocator<int> >::_M_erase(std::_Rb_tree_node<int>*)
    #3 0x007f16ebcc9550 in std::_Rb_tree<int, int, std::_Identity<int>, std::less<int>, std::allocator<int> >::_M_erase(std::_Rb_tree_node<int>*)
    #4 0x007f16ebcc64b0 in std::_Rb_tree<int, int, std::_Identity<int>, std::less<int>, std::allocator<int> >::_M_erase(std::_Rb_tree_node<int>*)
    #5 0x007f16eba5119a in operator delete[](void*, std::nothrow_t const&)
    #6 0x007f16ebc56536 in int* std::_V2::__rotate<int*>(int*, int*, int*, std::random_access_iterator_tag)
    #7 0x007f16ebc65e9d in int* std::_V2::__rotate<int*>(int*, int*, int*, std::random_access_iterator_tag)
    #8 0x007f16ebe849e7 in PlayerMain(int, char**)
    #9 0x007f16ea6372e1 in __libc_start_main
    #10 0x005584c6326029 in (Unknown)
    Segmentation fault

26. optimise

optimise

It's already quite nice to know that dots netcode will support DedicatedServer platform at dots 1.0 release but still I would like to ask is there any plan to support pure dots runtime for server player build so I can get next level of performance in terms of super low cpu and memory usages? Any ETA for tat? It will coming soon or later?

27. CMarastoni

CMarastoni

Unity Technologies

IIRC. in current 0.51 you can already have a pure dots runtime build for the server. It is just a matter of configuring some stuff and removing some assemblies from conversion (filter in the BuildConfig) and splitting the assemblies in client, server only and mixed.
    Asteroids sample should perfectly work on dots server (pure dots, no gameobject).

28. optimise

optimise

Do u mean build Win RT Dot NET at Classic Scripting Settings? From what I know, pure dots runtime initiative start because of project tiny but project tiny has been halt and deprecate starting from 0.50 until further notice. Is that really still official supported to build pure dots runtime for server player build at dots 1.0 release?

29. timjohansson

timjohansson

Unity Technologies

Dots runtime builds are not possible with entities 0.50 or 0.51, and it is not planned for 1.0 either. We do not have a target date or release at this time.

optimise likes this.