Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

(Case 990576) ParticleSystem cost, without ParticleSystem in Scene

Discussion in '2018.1 Beta' started by Peter77, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

In this post, we observed that "ParticleSystem" comes with a significant cost (3-5 ms on my PC), even though no ParticleSystem Component exists in the Scene.

Reproduce
    • Open user attached project
    • Build Standalone Windows 64bit Player (Development & AutoConnect Profiler options enabled)
    • Start Player
    • Connect Profiler
    Observe time is being spent in "ParticleSystem.Update", even though no ParticleSystem exists in the scene.

Expected
    No cost for ParticleSystem, if no ParticleSystem exists.
    Ideally, ParticleSystem related code should run on Worker Threads as well and not block the Main Thread.

profiler_timeline.png

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    richardkettlewell likes this.
  2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I just received a reply from QA:

3. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Interesting. I just checked the internal bug info, and there is no mention of which bug they think it is a duplicate of. I'll try to reproduce this here locally now, and see what's going on. (and ask QA what bug it apparently duplicates..)

Peter77 likes this.
  4. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Ok, figured this out.. the Particle System Manager is waiting for some Transform updates to complete, even though those Transforms are on GameObjects that don't have Particle System Components.

It should only wait for updates to Transforms that are on GameObjects with Particle Systems. (Obviously :D)

We're going to investigate why this is happening, and how to prevent it. Thanks again for the bug report. I'll ask QA to process it - still clueless as to why it got closed as a duplicate.

Peter77 likes this.
  5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thanks for investigating this issue and keeping me in the loop! QA also re-opened the bug-report in the meantime :)

richardkettlewell likes this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

They'll be sorry one day when they are replaced by a mainframe AI called Barry. Mark my words.