Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

(Case 978199) The cloth physics is broken in Unity 2017.3.0f2

Discussion in '2017.3 Beta' started by nirvanajie, Dec 13, 2017.

1. nirvanajie

nirvanajie

Hi,

When I checked the Unity 2017.3.0f2 release notes, I found some improvement in cloth physics. So I did a quick test and found out the cloth physics is broken in Unity 2017.3.0f2.

In my test scene, the performance in Unity 5.5 is about 8.0ms. But the performance in Unity 2017.3 is about 680ms!

I also notice the verts count is 161k which should be 45k in Unity 5.5

I just put one dress(40020 verts) in the scene and add cloth component to this object. Finally, I paint the verts on top of the dress to fix this mesh. Very simple.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    MrEsquire and Peter77 like this.
  2. castor76

castor76

Interesting, let us know if the bug has been publicly acknowledged. I could not find it in the issue tracker.

3. nirvanajie

nirvanajie

The QA Team confirmed my case then closed it. They have identified this issue as a duplicate of an existing known bug(
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-5-dot-6-takes-3-times-longer-than-in-5-dot-5
    ).

I check the issue and find out the status is postponed. I can't believe Unity just let this important feature broken for almost one year since Unity 5.6.0.

I really hope Unity can fix this during 2017.3.0 product lifecycle.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  4. castor76

castor76

What is mean by postponed? Is it fixed? Or will it be fixed later? For what reason did it get "postponed" ? Come on Unity now.. a bit more info than just postponed is needed here....

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

It's described above the issue itself, let me quote that for you.
    Practically speaking, from past experience, postponed means for me: If this issue is important to me and I can't wait an unknown amount of time (the issue we're discussing here has been reported almost a year ago), I considered these options in the past:
    1. Use an Unity version where that feature is still working. In many cases, I upgraded for a reason though, mostly because I ran into a different issue with an earlier Unity build, a downgrade often made no sense.
    2. Buying their Premium Support. I went this path a few times (well the Companies I worked for) and sometimes it speeds things up. It's not an guarantee to get things fixed though.
    3. Get rid of the thing that isn't working anymore. Might not be an option depending on the affect in the game.
    4. Write that feature yourself or try to find an existing solution in the asset store.
    5. Use different technology altogether.

nirvanajie likes this.
  6. castor76

castor76

Fair enough. I didn't read the notes on the top. My bad. however, I still would like to know what and why it has happened and why it requires major refactoring on Unity side.

7. nirvanajie

nirvanajie

I also want to know why it requires major refactoring on Unity side.

I asked Unity if they will fix this issue in upcoming releases. The QA Team reply me they have no such intention. And the reason for this is bug being too tedious to implement into current releases.Come on...I can't even vote on this issue.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

They're upgrading physx again in Unity and there's ongoing work with it so I imagine it might be related. Don't know for sure.