Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug (Case 1358381) Addressables generates bundles that are not deterministic

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Peter77, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Unity 2019.4.20f1, Addressables 1.18.15

Using Addressables to generate asset bundles, causes the generated asset bundles to be different, even though the content of the source data did not change.

Reproduce
    1. Open attached project
    2. Open SampleScene
    3. Open "Window > Asset Management > Addressables > Groups"
    4. In Groups window press "Build > Clean Build > All"
    5. In Groups window press "Build > New Build > Default Build Script"
    6. Open folder "Library\com.unity.addressables\aa\Windows\StandaloneWindows"
    7. Copy samplescene_scenes_all*.bundle to a new folder and name it 1.bundle
    8. In Groups window press "Build > Clean Build > All"
    9. In Groups window press "Build > New Build > Default Build Script"
    10. Open folder "Library\com.unity.addressables\aa\Windows\StandaloneWindows"
    11. Copy samplescene_scenes_all*.bundle to a new folder and name it 2.bundle
    12. Change the Aspect ratio in GameView
    13. Change the Window Layout in the Editor
    14. In Groups window press "Build > Clean Build > All"
    15. In Groups window press "Build > New Build > Default Build Script"
    16. Open folder "Library\com.unity.addressables\aa\Windows\StandaloneWindows"
    17. Copy samplescene_scenes_all*.bundle to a new folder and name it 3.bundle
    18. Perform a binary compare on the three bundle files, under windows use "fc /b 1.bundle 3.bundle" on the command-prompt

Actual
    The generated bundles have different hashes in their filenames.
    Running a file compare command against the generated bundles shows they are different.

Expected
    Build System outputs bitwise identical bundles if the source content did not change.

Attached Files:

Artemko_one, emerge-sjh and Prodigga like this.
  2. tylo

tylo

I would not be surprised if this is a problem specific to having a bundle with a scene in it. Scenes are very sensitive to receiving changes as you use the editor, so that could be why the bundle is getting a different hash.

I have also noticed this happening if you include a bundle with an explicitly added shader. Bundles actually contain compiled shader code, and it seems Unity is very sensitive and will cause bundles with unique hash names to happen even when it appears you changed nothing.

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

4. Thermos

Thermos

Thank god. This bug has hunted me since the begining of using addressable.

5. emerge-sjh

emerge-sjh

Can't wait for this to be fixed :)

6. CineTek

CineTek

Peter77 likes this.
  7. unity_shane

unity_shane

Unity Technologies

@CineTek, @Peter77 Hey there, sorry for the delay. It looks like this is actually an editor issue (i.e. not addressables) that addressables just happens to be affected by - it seems like it has to do with resizing editor windows inadvertently changing trivial UI data in the build leading to the hashes changing. I pinged the team responsible to see what their ETA on the ticket is and I'll let you know if they get back to me with anything concrete. In the meantime, while looking at the internal ticket, it looks like this issue may already not be present anymore on newer versions of the editor, so its possible that updating your editor version could fix the issue, although I'm not certain.

8. timbokoppers

timbokoppers

@unity_shane, in which unity version *could* it be fixed? We are using 2020 LTS right now.. any hint?

9. CineTek

CineTek

We are on Unity 2021.2.10f1 as 2020LTS was not stable unfortunately - our last build was also made with 2021.2.10f1

10. Mad_Max_Sharecare

Mad_Max_Sharecare

Hi!

Probably same/similar issue on my side:
    Remote catalog bundles and unityBuiltInShaders bundles differs depends on active scene in the Editor.
    Tried with Unity 2021.2.7f1 and Addressables 1.19.19.
    Test project and video attached.
    @Unity-shane , should I make a separate ticket and/or post?

Thanks!!! ;) :)

Addressables_Test_2.gif

Attached Files:

11. unity_shane

unity_shane

Unity Technologies

@timbokoppers I can't say anything with certainty - it doesn't say on the internal ticket either beyond that it seemed like it might be fixed on an editor version that was being worked on in late 2021, so perhaps in one of the newer versions of 2021/2022? I wish I could give a more precise answer, but that's all I really have right now - I apologize.

@Mad_Max_Sharecare That sounds like it's probably the same issue if my understanding of the bug is correct. It wouldn't hurt to post a bug report with this project included though just in case - it might help the editor team get a fix to this bug faster.

12. Mad_Max_Sharecare

Mad_Max_Sharecare

13. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

Luckily, I have CI/CD setup. I build Addressables through command line, I won't open the Editor on that machine.