Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug (Case 1329969, 1311658, 1315723) Il2CPP build launch straight crash for DOTS project

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by optimise, Apr 14, 2021.

1. optimise

optimise

Hi @JoshPeterson, @joncham. Can you take a look at these two bugs and get the right person to fix the bug? Those two bugs I already stuck for months from last year until this year before I report the bugs. Before that I thought the bugs will be fixed at some time but until now still haven fix yet. I believe the bugs caused by Il2CPP failed to convert correct C++ code and make it access invalid address then cause the game crash. My DOTS project needs to able to roll out working IL2CPP Android build at next month before end of May. And also there is announcement that DOTS Entities package will lock at 2020.3 LTS until the end of the year at the earliest (https://forum.unity.com/threads/notice-on-dots-compatibility-with-unity-2021-1.1091800/). So, the fix needs to backport to 2020.3 LTS as my project has Entities package dependency.

1) Possibly Entities package or burst package related crash bug
    (Case 1329969) [IL2CPP][Entities] Android build crash
    (Case 1315723) [IL2CPP][Physics][Netcode][Entities] Android build crash
    (Case 1311658) [Netcode][IL2CPP] Player build crash or not working properly
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...on-null-pointer-dereference-when-launching-it
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ilds-crash-with-entities-and-netcode-packages
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...rashes-when-running-x86-build-on-a-x64-system

2) Possibly Physics related crash bug
    (Case 1315723) [IL2CPP][Physics][Netcode][Entities] Android build crash
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-crashes-on-signal-11-sigsegv-upon-app-launch

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    deus0 likes this.
  2. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I took a look at the first issue a while back, and I could not reproduce it. Our QA team for DOTS is currently trying to reproduce it again.

The second issue seems unrelated to IL2CPP, but it likely a bug in the DOTS code. The DOTS team is looking at it now.

deus0 and optimise like this.
  3. optimise

optimise

Kindly reproduce it with Case 1315723 GameProject.zip project with IL2CPP Android Release build. The Case 1311658 lightweight GameplayServerTest.zip project seems like sometimes will fail to reproduce the bug.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  4. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Based on what I see in the internal case notes, it looks like that is what our QA team is trying now.

optimise likes this.
  5. optimise

optimise

@JoshPeterson. Can I know the current state for this case?

6. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

It looks like the bug is still under investigation. That's all I can tell from the case notes.

optimise likes this.
  7. optimise

optimise

Hi @JoshPeterson. I just submitted another new bug report (Case 1329969) [IL2CPP][Entities] Android build crash. Hopefully it can help further speed up the bug reproduction speed.

JoshPeterson likes this.
  8. Lee_Hammerton

Lee_Hammerton

Unity Technologies

deus0 and optimise like this.
  9. optimise

optimise

Hi @Lee_Hammerton. Still crash at latest Burst 1.5.2. From issue tracker, it says Fix In Review for 1.5.1 seems like the fix still haven roll out to any public Burst version yet. Can u verify it?

I also added logcat without build configuration that I roll out android build without going through build configuration since dots build configuration doesn't support symbol.zip.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  10. optimise

optimise

Hi @sheredom. Is that possible for u to verify this issue too?

11. optimise

optimise

Hi @Lee_Hammerton. I found that it's not crash at Develop build but crash at Release build.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  12. optimise

optimise

Hi @JoshPeterson. I didn't get any further update for quite some time. Did the relevant people still look at my bug report? Seems like it's Entities 0.17 package bug or Burst package bug.

13. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

It looks like the bug reports are all in various states of investigating by the proper teams, I think. However, I'm not directly involved with these teams, so I can't say for sure. I'm just looking at the internal case notes.

optimise likes this.
  14. Rekart

Rekart

Hi. Our team facing same bug. I can attach sample project with bug reproducible, if needed.

Sample project have only Entities package with required dependencies and blank scene loading on application start.

Android IL2CPP application crashes on start. Unity versions 2020.3.0.f1, 2020.3.10.f1, 2020.3.11.f1 with Entities package 0.17.0-preview.41 or 0.17.0-preview.42 (no crashes with Entities 0.16.0-preview.21)
    application built with debug instead of release is stable

ios built on macOS Catalina crashes too if built with release option - debug works fine. build with Entities downgraded to 0.16.0-preview.21 is stable

@JoshPeterson is there any update for this issue?

15. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I can see that the bugs are open for investigation, but I don't work on the team handling them, so I can't give any more updates, sorry!

16. VasiliyChe

VasiliyChe

A month ago there was no news, but maybe now there is some information about this bug?

Seems a bit strange that the feature announced so loudly now just crashes android builds, and there are no updates from Unity side

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    deus0 likes this.
  17. deus0

deus0

It's still crashing with Burst 1.5.4!

18. Dans97

Dans97

It's still crashing with Burst 1.5.5! Experiencing crashes after the Unity logo with a simple scene that instantiates DOTS entities when I press a button.

deus0 and FearIndigo like this.
  19. VasiliyChe

VasiliyChe

20. Lee_Hammerton

Lee_Hammerton

Unity Technologies

@VasiliyChe could you try disabling burst and reproducing, the last time I looked at this the problem was reproducible with burst disabled. I believe this is a problem with entities and not burst or il2cpp, unless something has changed. You can verify this by disabling burst in the AOT Settings prior to building the player. The burst issue part of this IIRC was a bug relating to running managed methods from a burst method on 32bit windows, caused by burst defaulting to the wrong ABI for il2cpp compiled methods.
    If it doesn't occur with burst disabled, then yes we should take another look.

21. VasiliyChe

VasiliyChe

Yes, you are right, the problem persists even when Burst is disabled in the AOT settings file.

I tried to report a new bug but it became closed with the following comment:

"Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch, we actually know about this issue. Unfortunately, we cannot provide an Issue Tracker link, as this bug is only tracked internally."

@Lee_Hammerton maybe you can suggest someone I can write to about this crash?

The unknown is frightening.

We need someone to share information about bug status, estimates, and other comforting things.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  22. xoofx

xoofx

Unity Technologies

23. VasiliyChe

VasiliyChe

24. sheikhg1900

sheikhg1900

It is not crashing with Mono. When I tried to run app with IL2CPP, it crashed.
    com.unity.entities version is "0.17.0-preview.42"

25. deus0

deus0

I can confirm entities 1.6 builds with il2cpp but 1.7 doesn't. However 1.6 bugs out the pause button in the editor. Maybe it's worth?