Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug (Case 1298761) Import progress dialog does not show "Cancel" button

Discussion in '2021.1 Beta' started by Peter77, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

What should the cancel button do?

1 - Cancel the importing and leave the files already imported in the project folder ( leaving the files incomplete )

2 - Cancel the import completely, meaning also delete the currently imported files of the package. ( like an undo of the import operation )

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    Peter77 likes this.
  3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Good question.

If such "Cancel" button had existed, I would expected option 1 to happen.That's because it's what happens when I cancel a "copy files" operation in Windows.

Option 2 would be nicer and safer, but it's not what I would expect when I cancel the import.

But either option would be fine for me. I can revert modified files, delete untracked files, etc through the version control system, I don't need Unity to do this for me.

I think it gets down that I just want to avoid having to kill Unity via Windows Task Manager when an import takes too long for example.

4. Rowlan

Rowlan

Cancel did exist, but it didn't work. So I guess the conclusion was to remove it altogether since cancelling at halfway import (shader stuff etc) would break the entire project.

Not being able to cancel is especially annoying when you import a 4 GB project which can take an hour depending on custom shaders, file types and what not. I'd prefer to have a cancel option, but do understand that it's not possible at all.

Peter77 likes this.
  5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

6. Rowlan

Rowlan

Question is still: What exactly should happen? When files were overwritten, there's no possible way to restore them. Only option would be a confirmation popup "You really want to cancel? Your project will go foobar if you do so"

7. erdostamasa

erdostamasa

Any updates on this? It would be nice to be able to cancel/pause when importing big projects.
    It could work like this: after pressing the cancel button, finish importing the current asset/file, then stop.
    Is that possible?

8. NNSkelly

NNSkelly

Why we need better, more transparent, more granular import control in one easy graphic. (note that 50% progress bar is 100% fake; import seems to just hang out at 50% for hours on end with no indication of whether it has hours or seconds remaining, or even a rough count of files remaining) progress.png

When the import will be the result of an in-editor change when a project is already open, it would be very nice to have at least a warning e.g. "this change will cause a reimport of 5237 files (6.7GB)" even if, at that point, it is not viable to have a cancel button.

When the import is on a cold start from e.g. a version control checkout, there is going to be no way into the editor without letting the import complete, and this should be understood, and in this case it would absolutely be polite to have a Cancel button that leaves the project in an un-usable state because it was already in an even less-usable state and will continue to be in an un-usuable state but the user shouldn't be chained to an hours-long process before they can abort out to a state where they can at least safely use a file explorer to try to delete deadweight.
    And regardless, working progress estimates, even just in number/type of files remaining, would be an amazing QoL improvement. There should be no reason Unity can't crunch the file count before the import process starts. It should not be live-traversing the filesystem in some unique, impossible-to-reproduce fashion for the first time, in real time, while it's in the process of changing files.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
    erdostamasa likes this.