Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug (Case 1276894) Shadow popping on large objects beyond first shadow cascade

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by CodeBison, Sep 10, 2020.

1. CodeBison

CodeBison

I've noticed shadow popping when shadow cascades are in use in 2020.2. Shadows beyond the first shadow cascade exhibit popping behaviour in scene or game camera. I created a video contrasting the behaviour with 2020.1.3f1, which behaves as expected:

This behaviour only seems to occur with large shadow casters that extend past multiple sides of the camera frustum. The parts of the environment in the video linked above that exhibit this behaviour are all a single mesh, for example.

I've created a minimal repro project here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DKndlRZci-4yY2G-fIwj7r682zEDxDo7
    To reproduce issue with the provided project:
    • Open ShadowTest scene
    • Select camera and align scene camera via GameObject -> Align View to Selected
    • Note that only the first cascade of the cube's shadow is visible in the scene camera:
      upload_2020-9-10_14-15-5.png
    • Select the cube and uniformly reduce its scale until the cube's bounding box is only overlapping one plane of the camera's frustum.
    • Note that the cube's shadow shows properly:
      upload_2020-9-10_14-15-39.png
    Edit: Filed as case 1276894

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    ProtonOne and Peter77 like this.
  2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I was going to ask to submit a bug-report, then saw the edit. Great that you already did that! :)

BTW, if you add the bug-report case number to the thread title, it makes it easier to see the forum-post<>bug-report relationship. Like here for example:
    upload_2020-9-11_8-43-16.png

CodeBison, LeonhardP and NotaNaN like this.
  3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Oxeren, CodeBison and Peter77 like this.