Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug (Case 1276565) Editor crashes when upgrading from 2020.1.4 to 2020.2.0b1 due to ProjectCache.bin

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by Kichang-Kim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

Hi. Upgrading from 2020.1.4 to 2020.2.0b1 is simply failed due to editor crash.

Here is part of Editor.log:
    ArtifactDBVersion changed from '0x56abef77' to '0xc7810e4f'
    The file 'Library/PackageManager/ProjectCache.bin' is corrupted! Remove it and launch unity again!
    [Position out of bounds!]

Fatal Error! The file 'Library/PackageManager/ProjectCache.bin' is corrupted! Remove it and launch unity again!
    [Position out of bounds!]

This issue breaks all of my automated build pipelines. Manually removing "Library/PackageManager/ProjectCache.bin" fixed this issue temporarily, but upgrading process should not need any of user-interaction, especially in batch mode.

2. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Kichang-Kim,

This sounds like an issue we previously fixed in 2020.2.0a15, but it was only fixed for project upgrades, not downgrades. However, I'm not sure why it would affect you, since you seem to describe a typical upgrade scenario where the issue shouldn't happen. Would you mind opening a Bug Report so we can track the issue and get more detailed information, and ensure that a copy of the Editor.log file containing the "crash" is included in the report? It would definitely help us speed up the process. Thanks!

3. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

@maximeb_unity
    Hi, for various reason, I can't send my project as bug report so I only sent my full Editor.log contains native call stacks as Case 1276565. I hope that this help you.

Also I found that both upgrading/downgrading between 2020.1.4 <-> 2020.2.0b1 failed due to same reason (ProjectCache.bin).

maximeb_unity likes this.
  4. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

The Editor.log is probably sufficient for us to track this issue. Thank you!

5. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim