Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug (Case 1227901) Crash when opening project

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by optimise, Mar 16, 2020.

1. optimise

optimise

The project just crash after done loading. I'm using latest Nvidia driver 442.59.

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

radiantboy and optimise like this.
  3. optimise

optimise

4. garyhaus

garyhaus

It is extremely frustrating... I cannot work on my projects...

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Yes, it is a driver issue. We've reached out to Nvidia for a status update but haven't heard back yet.

6. garyhaus

garyhaus

Thanks for the update...

7. garyhaus

garyhaus

Nvidia released a driver update.. Unreal is fixed... Unity still won't function on the laptop.

8. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

As a temporary workaround, we have noticed that uninstalling the GeForce Experience resolves the crashing in some cases.

9. fherbst

fherbst

Just got reminded of this by Unity's latest tweet about RTX, tested again, still Unity crashes immediately when trying to use RTX on a 2070 Max-Q.

@LeonhardP can you figure out what happened to this? Did Unity just not talk to Nvidia at all? All other RTX software I tried works fine, just Unity crashes.

Just to clarify, all my reports about this got closed as duplicates of this: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...and-opening-the-editor-on-an-external-display despite having nothing to do with an external display.

10. fherbst

fherbst

@LeonhardP today I reached out to Nvidia and Nvidia QA wasn't able to find any trace of a similar-sounding issue or of any communication they might have had with Unity about this. I forwarded them some case numbers.
    Are you sure there is an ongoing or past discussion about this?

11. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi @fherbst,

I've reached out again to check on this.

fherbst likes this.
  12. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Do you use GeForce Experience and does it always crash or is there some variance? Also, does it happen in later releases such as 2020.2 as well and with the same frequency?

13. fherbst

fherbst

Yes, with GeForce Experience. No crash without that, as I outlined in the case, also no crash when downgrading to an earlier driver. However, GeForce Experience is crucial for recording high-quality videos, so that's not going away on my machine... and earlier drivers don't work well with VR and/or RTX, so that's also not a permanent solution.

No variance in crashes – switch to DX12, Unity crashes. Any version that supports DX12. And it's an "always crash", not just sometimes. And yes, also in 2020.2b.

LeonhardP likes this.