Search Unity

(Case 1227083) Tree Nature/Soft Occlusion shader in URP

Discussion in 'World Building' started by chanfort, Feb 10, 2020.

1. creat327

creat327

That's basically the whole URP right there. To force people to pay twice for the things that were already working previously.
    Years in the making and we still can't even have Tree Creator in URP. But hey, we got "lens" finally in there! After 4 years!

2. creat327

creat327

Built-in works so much better than URP. I wrote a long post about that last year. Less memory and way faster.
    Unfortunatelly many assets are now coming with URP only support and Unity is betting the house on that thing.

I've complained and i've seen many complaining about the trees, vegetation and terrain system at Unity since 2009. WIth so many empty promises made. Basically Unity hasn't done almost any on terrain improvements in over a decade and all improvements are made by asset store authors. I'm guessing like you, they don't care and they don't want because it brings them money from that. The existing default terrain system is pure junk.

Jacal and Foj like this.
  3. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

I had to drop URP on my projects because lack of vegetation rendering performance. (and please don't tell me we must use 3d objects with lod group)
    Another thing is that it's missing the one thing that everybody is after = screen space reflections.
    So as a build in solution it's making water everywhere.

I personally found that HDRP can have better or same performance with out loosing too much definition. And having a rather poorly implemented screen space reflection. But at least it looks better.
    But i guess you are still stuck with vegetation problems.

In Standard pipeline it all works, but the looks and performance takes me back to 2003.

Then i thought: ok let's see similar titles made with Unreal. And I see that some of them can't even be diferentiated from Unity HDRP. So I guess that Unity it's not that far off with HDRP results. But I feel like Unity has to pick one of the dam rendering pipelines and put all focus in that one.

osmank_02, Jacal and Foj like this.