Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug (Case 1178132) Addressables System Packed Play Mode does not work with Reload Domain disabled

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by AlkisFortuneFish, Aug 20, 2019.

1. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

I've been testing the experimental Enter Play Mode Options with our project to see what the fastest play mode I can get is and run into an issue. Packed Play Mode does not play ball with disabling domain reloads too well. Entering, exiting and then re-entering play mode breaks, causing Missing Reference Exceptions. When I submitted the bug, I thought it always happened but it turns out that if I restart Unity, I can get it to work for several cycles. As soon as I rebuild player content, it breaks again. At that point, switching to Fast Mode does not stop the issue from happening.

While this is not a showstopper, it would be a nice thing to have. Packed play mode has the most minimal impact to enter play mode times.

DeliaF_Manea likes this.
  2. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

@unity_bill Just tagging you here because I would imagine you are not following this forum.

3. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

On the bright side, it's *fast*!

4. unity_bill

unity_bill

I'm not! Thanks for the call-out.

yeah, our code was written with the assumption that when you started playing (play mode or player) you'd have a fresh domain reload. Because that's how Unity has behaved for roughly forever. That was a rash assumption.

We're working on a fix, but it may be a while (4-6 weeks?). There's a lot of auto-magic initialization that happens post-reload, and we're going to need to find ways to fake it.

5. esg_evan

esg_evan

@unity_bill
    Any updates on this? Is a fix still on the roadmap or was this expected to be resolved already?

This is still broken for me as of Unity 2019.3.0f6 and Addressables 1.6.0.

Packed mode (now "Use Existing Build") still isn't working with Domain Reload turned off. The first time you enter play mode everything works fine but the second time (and every time after that) it always returns null results from Addressables.LoadAssetAsync unless the domain is reloaded.

Andresmonte and phobos2077 like this.
  6. Igor_Time

Igor_Time

Still have the same problem: Unity 2019.3.2f1 and Addressables 1.7.5. Any update about the issue?

Andresmonte likes this.
  7. ScottJak

ScottJak

@unity_bill wanted to ask if there is a bug report or feature request I could vote for on this topic. Ran into this today on 2020.3.6f1 & 1.18.4.